ESET Smart Security 8 Deal. Is it worth it, or is the protection lacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
This feels like a stupid question, but is it worth spending $10 on ESET Smart Security 8 3PC? I found it on sale. I heard that there may be some issues with the protection they offer vs their competitors. There are other rebates available. What do you guys think? $10 for a year of ESET worth it?

background: The PC may be at decent risk as I may start a website.

The sale ends today, any feedback appreciated!!!

Last edited:

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
If u are carefull ESET is more than enough. Exellent protection,realy stable product(even the beta versions are more stable,less buggy than the most other final products from other vendors,good support and the price u have say is amazing. I would purchase it.U cant go wrong with ESET :)

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
If u are carefull ESET is more than enough. Exellent protection,realy stable product(even the beta versions are more stable,less buggy than the most other final products from other vendors,good support and the price u have say is amazing. I would purchase it.U cant go wrong with ESET :)

Thanks. And by careful (besides the keeping software up-to-date, AV definitions updated), you mean...?
I heard that it is best yo manually adjust the settings in order to get better protection. I know Kaspersky offers great protection against CryptoLocker like viruses and Webcam protection (RAT's).

I may be frequently accessing/publishing a site based on WordPress, so that was my reason for asking.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
What site was that? My 3 months license will be expired on 1/15 and I'm looking to renew it for as cheap as possible... :(

The deal expired 12/25/14, and it was a mail in rebate, not a simple $9.99 (although still a good deal.) See the Hot Deals thread for a Kaspersky Offer.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Off topic! Why do you pay for a Anti-Virus programs? I have used MSE and MBAM Pro for over 4 years. I use WOT on all 3 browsers and use my brain to safe surf. I have several back up images that are free from malware of my W7 OS on a 1TB seagate external HD, that will restore my PC back exactly like the day I created the backup image.
I have never had to use those back ups to recover from malware in the 3+ years of surfing the internet. I have only used the back ups when I messed up, never because I was infected. I guess if you're rich and feel more secure with a paid version, go for it!
I'll spend my money on my grand kids.;):)

Reactions: nissimezra and scot

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
ESET is a quality AV, and when it comes to Adware / PuP detection, it performs superior to most competitors.
Hi I never said it wasn't high quality. I just said I don't need to pay for a Anti-Virus program. I use ESET on line scanner all the time, and it does a great job helping me with senior citizens computers here at Golden Oaks;):)
PS It's probably the best paid Anti-Virus program you can have!!

Reactions: nissimezra

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Hi I never said it wasn't high quality. I just said I don't need to pay for a Anti-Virus program. I use ESET on line scanner all the time, and it does a great job helping me with senior citizens computers here at Golden Oaks;):)
PS It's probably the best paid Anti-Virus program you can have!!

I never said you said that.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Is it worth it was the the question. If you think you need a paid version of Anti-Virus.
Yes it's the best IMHO

I never said you said that.
Not a problem. I'm only stating my opinion. I don't need the paid version. So to me it's not worth it.
That's all I'm saying. Sorry if you thought otherwise!

Last edited by a moderator:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Why can't it protect your System32 folder you think?
As far as I know it's one of the better AV's

Any antivirus may fail at "protecting system32". Most of the times files may be copied to this directory with no issues at all, modifying files on the directory is different story. ESET HIPS will prompt on modification of files/process. In my past test all antivirus failed to avoid some malware from being copied to the system32, which is not big deal as it seems to be. Those files didn't do harm since their malicious activity that triggers on every system startup where blocked by the behavioral/proactive mechanism of the different antivirus I tested. In other words, the files remained in system32 until the AV had a chance to read them, or you ran a full scan with on demand anti malware software. As I said, some AV's did perform better at this, but none got a 100% ratio of blocking files being copied to this folder. No doubt ESET is one of the best AV's outhere, it provides a nice configuration scope, it's light and has a good detection rate, it's heuristics works great and the PuP detection is wonderful. I had Bitdefender and Emsisoft let install tons of opencandy, where ESET did not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.