ESET Smart Security 9 + SpyShelter Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
after reading a few posts on this forum, it sounds like ESET is well-liked, but it could use a little tweaking in the HIPS department, in order to improve the zero-day protection. However, people are saying that doing this could be a little challenging for non-experts.

Instead of tweaking, what about adding SpyShelter Free, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit? Will that help? Any known conflicts?

Basically I am asking whether Eset with default settings + spyshelter free + MBAE is roughly equivalent to Kaspersky.

win10 pro x64, chrome x64.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
You can easily tweak eset hips. Set to learning mode use for few days and make sure you do any action in your system. After all is done just choose the mode you want: interactive will ask via pop ups, policy based means unless there's a rule no action will run. Smart mode is recommended for new users.

I might be wrong but eset includes anti exploit, but in any case you do not need to bombard your system with solutions to cover for a possible loop. Unless you are actively searching for infection, just use eset with one on demand scanner and it's hips configured as above would do fine. Can also add in dns service but that'd another side and a story for another day unless you wanna explore the dns side of protection

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can easily tweak eset hips. Set to learning mode use for few days and make sure you do any action in your system. After all is done just choose the mode you want: interactive will ask via pop ups, policy based means unless there's a rule no action will run. Smart mode is recommended for new users.

I might be wrong but eset includes anti exploit, but in any case you do not need to bombard your system with solutions to cover for a possible loop. Unless you are actively searching for infection, just use eset with one on demand scanner and it's hips configured as above would do fine. Can also add in dns service but that'd another side and a story for another day unless you wanna explore the dns side of protection
thanks
after running learning mode, can I put it back on automatic, or does that defeat the purpose?
I understand that when in learning mode, I should not install new software or mess around with settings.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
thanks
after running learning mode, can I put it back on automatic, or does that defeat the purpose?
I understand that when in learning mode, I should not install new software or mess around with settings.

I believe it should be the opposite. you change into a more secure mode only after you have done playing around your system or install legit softwares.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
thanks
Learning mode creates the rules. I would recommend smart mode not automatic.
Automatic mode does - operations are enabled except when they violate the pre-defined rule set included with ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

So go either smart or interactive or policy base mode.

Also while learning disable hips to install software u know you can trust

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could try Spyshelter Free, but ESET includes an Exploit Blocker.

Check for compatibility between the software.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Indeed its a challenging for non-expert caused HIPS is design to monitor every changes done to your system and notify for your decision, adding another combination still a same fate as you need to understand the interactive pop-ups.

Follow the advice on HIPS and you will surely like the ESET feature for that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.