App Review Eset vs Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Has anyone checked this test? What's your opinion about this? How did Eset perform here?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Results are a bummer,wish these test would be run after Robomans hardenimg downloads ,never the less I keep voodoshield with Eset incase of bypass.I think this is enough

• +Reputation
Reactions: RoboMan

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Results are a bummer,wish these test would be run after Robomans hardenimg downloads ,never the less I keep voodoshield with Eset incase of bypass.I think this is enough
Yes, that's what I thought too. But actually I don't like to use more than one real time product. So, still using only Eset and OSArmor as an extra layer.

Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I'll just post what I said in another thread on the topic. I just changed the vendor names.;)

Well to be fair nothing is ever perfect. Despite the fact that people say that nothing is 100% perfect, it still kinda fascinates me when people act surprised when a product missed something, or failed a test. I'm not making excuses for Eset, personally I still think it's a great product, with very good protection, however, no matter what you use, you still always need to practice basic security 101. When it comes to ransomware, the only and I mean the ONLY 100% guaranteed protection from any type of ransomware is to simply backup. It's the only guaranteed protection against this type of thing. Look at Wanacry and how it got past so many products initially, what about the new Asus security fiasco?

Over the last 4-5 months I've seen various tests posted here, from all sorts of products and them missing stuff. All this does is reinforce the point that every product can miss malware and every product can fail at some point. IMHO we need to stop looking for something that will offer 100% protection every time, it's not available, nor will it ever be. At the end of the day, use which ever program you like most and be sure to practice good security hygiene and chances are you will be more than fine.:)(y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'll just post what I said in another thread on the topic. I just changed the vendor names.;)

Well to be fair nothing is ever perfect. Despite the fact that people say that nothing is 100% perfect, it still kinda fascinates me when people act surprised when a product missed something, or failed a test. I'm not making excuses for Eset, personally I still think it's a great product, with very good protection, however, no matter what you use, you still always need to practice basic security 101. When it comes to ransomware, the only and I mean the ONLY 100% guaranteed protection from any type of ransomware is to simply backup. It's the only guaranteed protection against this type of thing. Look at Wanacry and how it got past so many products initially, what about the new Asus security fiasco?

Over the last 4-5 months I've seen various tests posted here, from all sorts of products and them missing stuff. All this does is reinforce the point that every product can miss malware and every product can fail at some point. IMHO we need to stop looking for something that will offer 100% protection every time, it's not available, nor will it ever be. At the end of the day, use which ever program you like most and be sure to practice good security hygiene and chances are you will be more than fine.:)(y)
I agree with everything you said. But I'm just surprised that Eset missed so many PUPs in this test. Eset is usually good with PUPs. The system wasn't infected by any malware so in that case Eset did fine. I'm currently trying out Eset and so far very happy with it :giggle:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I agree with everything you said. But I'm just surprised that Eset missed so many PUPs in this test. Eset is usually good with PUPs. The system wasn't infected by any malware so in that case Eset did fine. I'm currently trying out Eset and so far very happy with it :giggle:
Were pup and pua detections enabled in this test? Tried to skip through the video to see if it was ever shown. But didn't see it.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
lol, device control is off, firewall is in automatic mode. That's default ESET, and default ESET is garbage. If default settings for any product were enough, no vendor would waste time creating tweaks and option.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

These videos steadily become a main clickbait...

IMO it's starting to get out of hand. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to perform tests, but the frequency that these videos get posted is not helping making things better and more clear, it's just adding to the confusion. Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of people "acting" like "security experts" because they were able to run malware in a VM. Testing these products in general is very difficult and it's not as easy as it's made out to be. They often don't represent how it works in the real world and I always get a kick reading the YouTube comments of people freaking out that this or that product is a pos because it didn't get 100%. If you really look at it, these YouTube testing methodologies really haven't changed, if at all.

Step 1: Disable real-time AV
Step 2: Perform right click scan on folder full of malware with unknown age.
Step 3: Re-enable real-time protection and run any missed samples
Step 4: Scan with on demand scanners.

In the real world no one operates their computer this way.

IMHO the vast majority of these "YouTubers" don't offer any helpful advice, nor do they fully explain/understand the products nor the malware. How many times do you see people run a piece of malware in a VM, nothing happens and their conclusion is "well it must be broken." Yes, it may be broken, however there are tons of malware now that are VM aware and if they detect that they are in a VM they simply don't run.

Again, I'm not against people performing tests, but I just wish they would take the time to properly understand how the products work and potentially the malware. Furthermore I would really be happy if people would take the time to really explain things and notify people that these results should be taken with a grain of salt and that real world usage will be different.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.