EU Carriers to Block Ads, Demand Money from Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2015
"Multiple mobile operators in Europe plan to block advertising on their networks, with one of them planning to target Google's ad network to force the company to give up a cut of its ad revenue, according to a report yesterday in the Financial Times."

That is not going to end well, Europe. As much as advertisers like to default to "ads keep the web alive" when they get called out, in the case of Google it's the truth. Plus, you don't step on the toes of that big of a giant without consequences.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2015
I think the EU is just anti-Google really. It certainly seems that way at times. In this case, I have to wonder if it's a "Robin Hood" move to keep various economies from being completely dead and buried. Google certainly gets treated differently on that side of the pond from my side. Of course Google lobbies so hard over here and has so much power that they can get away with a lot more. Either way, I see this either being stopped in its tracks or turning out really bad.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I think the EU is just anti-Google really. It certainly seems that way at times. In this case, I have to wonder if it's a "Robin Hood" move to keep various economies from being completely dead and buried. Google certainly gets treated differently on that side of the pond from my side. Of course Google lobbies so hard over here and has so much power that they can get away with a lot more. Either way, I see this either being stopped in its tracks or turning out really bad.

"Multiple mobile operators in Europe plan to block advertising on their networks, with one of them planning to target Google's ad network to force the company to give up a cut of its ad revenue, according to a report yesterday in the Financial Times."

That is not going to end well, Europe. As much as advertisers like to default to "ads keep the web alive" when they get called out, in the case of Google it's the truth. Plus, you don't step on the toes of that big of a giant without consequences.

Yeah i see what you are saying, yet its a double edged sword, as this might seem a Robin hood move on the other hand, Google itself has not exactly been nice to the world since they started. I personally respect what Google does and most of their services are great.
Yet when they started Google by default took the search engine world by a storm successfully if i might add.
And since there has been virtually no competition they also dictated how the online ad world would look like.

However when a advertisement company wants to enter a "Google" network then they need to pay and fill out a contract that guarantees that you cannot rival Google with a similar product and you pay a nasty fee (I know this as my brother in law owns one of the largest advertisement companies in the EU) and you are not talking about small bucks... this is a multi billion industry.
Yet Google uses networks from others without ever paying a dime, and on top of that it forces their own ads to be top ranked and those of their rivals and clients to a much lower ranking. And this is unfair competition in every way.
And from what i have been told, and from what has been written in the media and from what has been proven in court cases it is safe to say that while Google is a great company they have gone to far. (Power does corrupt) and Google IMO has lost its initial flair if you will.
So yeah one could call it a Robin Hood move, but Google has been blocking other giants for years now, this is clearly seen as nowadays the competition within the search engine /online advert world is harder and harder, due to the fact that not just in the EU but everywhere Google is being ordered by courts to play fair or face the music.
In the old days Google could do what they want, none did check.. today there are serious organisations checking these things and if anything is found wrong they will act. Ask yourself the question: If you would own a search engine and you have to play by the book, then why should Google not? So yeah i totally understand why carriers will block adverts. Either things get shared and paid for, or Google will be stopped from using that network.

In terms of implications for the carriers, the EU is by far the biggest advert economy in the world, Google will lose so much if carriers would do such thing, yet carriers would lose virtually nothing, this has been pointed out by annalists and economic guys around the world regardless if they are in favor or not.
Googles power is undeniable specially in the search engine advertisement and targeted ads, yet this power is virtual as without carriers they cannot service these ads and search results and this will cost Google billions.
Look at some of the Asian search engines and some EU based ones... Google has seriously something to fear if they want to stay on top.

Is google being handled different? No..But since they are the one who wrote the book, they are also the ones that will have to stand for their own actions. And they do look how much Google, Facebook and all these giants in their own respective ways have changed.
Thats suppost to be a good thing for you and me, because what Giant like MS, Google and other did not tell you is that did not service ads and services, but in 90% of all cases they did shovel it up your ( )*( ) and we did not even notice. And that's why Google is being targeted so much in court. In regards to the Google lobby, those days are over they really are.
This is not the tech bubble time anymore, back then you did have 1 or 2 providers providing a service so going with Google was logical. Today you have like a 1000 companies, and each of them while smaller then Google offer the same if not better quality.
So really that lobby is limited.

Kind Regards
Nico

Reactions: viktik

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They just collide to a giant company on a wrong time, manipulations can do everything within a single dust. ;)

Reactions: Nico@FMA

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2015
You're 100% right, Nico. Being the "top dog" has given Google a lot of bad habits when it comes to monetizing data. As I was saying earlier, over here in the U.S they have a tendency to skate on things not many companies can get away with. Of course our data and privacy laws here are pretty atrocious and, at the very least, so full of loopholes they might as well not even exist. But, let's play devils advocate for a moment. For all the mischief they have done here, they are against (at least publicly) all this NSA mess going on and are fighting back. If they go away, who has the mountains of money they have that also have the lobbying power they have? Microsoft? Quite a giant itself, but just not as powerful.

Sometimes our enemies are convenient friends. But back to the advertising discussion so, yes, Google does need to be taken to the woodshed a bit..but the next biggest company would do the same thing Google has done and I think we both know it. Sadly, money talks and everything else walks when it comes to profit. Speaking of which, how many people do you think would pay for Google services if they dropped the free services for your data model tomorrow morning? I feel comfortable saying not many. Not a very relevant question for the discussion, but an interesting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.