Eugene Kaspersky on WannaCry: I Can't Understand Why They Still Use Windows XP

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
eugene-kaspersky-on-wannacry-i-can-t-understand-why-they-still-use-windows-xp.jpg
Eugene Kaspersky has one issue with the WannaCry ransomware attack that has taken over the world in the past week - why are so many people still using Windows XP?!

"I can't understand why they still use Windows XP because if they have hundreds or thousands of PCs it's very expensive to handle all of that," Kaspersky Lab boss said, baffled by the entire situation.

He added that in order to prevent these types of attacks for small businesses it's much more easier than for enterprises. They just have to have their updated systems, they have to have their backups, and they have to have security solutions - and that's good enough," Kaspersky told ZDNet reporters present at the event.

Things are a lot more complicated, however, when it comes to larger enterprises, especially given the number of systems working on XP in the wild. That's because, in order to replace ol... (read more)

Read more: Eugene Kaspersky on WannaCry: I Can't Understand Why They Still Use Windows XP

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
eugene-kaspersky-on-wannacry-i-can-t-understand-why-they-still-use-windows-xp.jpg
Eugene Kaspersky has one issue with the WannaCry ransomware attack that has taken over the world in the past week - why are so many people still using Windows XP?!

"I can't understand why they still use Windows XP because if they have hundreds or thousands of PCs it's very expensive to handle all of that," Kaspersky Lab boss said, baffled by the entire situation.

He added that in order to prevent these types of attacks for small businesses it's much more easier than for enterprises. They just have to have their updated systems, they have to have their backups, and they have to have security solutions - and that's good enough," Kaspersky told ZDNet reporters present at the event.

Things are a lot more complicated, however, when it comes to larger enterprises, especially given the number of systems working on XP in the wild. That's because, in order to replace ol... (read more)

Read more: Eugene Kaspersky on WannaCry: I Can't Understand Why They Still Use Windows XP
Didn't he read the report that almost all the affected computers were running Windows 7?

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
why are so many people still using Windows XP?!

"I can't understand why they still use Windows XP
Probably because around the world, many people still can't afford to migrate to more modern and secure operating systems.
If Kaspersky Boss wanted to do something concrete, by releasing a bit of his $$...rather than making dubious statements!

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I don't think anyone other than the companies still using XP should shell out for upgrades. Eugene is a security expert and he's just giving his opinion in that capacity.
You are right, but explains to me : what does he expect after such statement ? Really someone has to explain to him why many people still use XP ? Rhetorical answer to a very rhetorical question.

It is how if I go with my Ferrari and I see you with a Trabant and I ask you: "Hey but I don't understand why you do not change car and maybe buy a Ferrari".....

Does it makes sense according to you?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
You are right, but explains to me : what does he expect after such statement ? Really someone has to explain to him why many people still use XP ? Rhetorical answer to a very rhetorical question.

It is how if I go with my Ferrari and I see you with a Trabant and I ask you: "Hey but I don't understand why you do not change car and maybe buy a Ferrari".....

Does it makes sense according to you?
I see your point, but I think he's just saying that most security experts and enthusiasts are thinking

Reactions: Winter Soldier

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
The problem ist that yes, most customers could have easily upgraded in the meantime and those who didn't – well, tough luck.

It's different in corporate or acedemic environments, though. The guys at CERN run Windows XP. The software for their particle accelerator was crafted and refined over years specifically for that particular institution and purpose. They can't just come in in the morning and click on "update" between their second and third coffee.

Or imagine your typical nuclear plant's cooling system shutting down, because Windows 10 has to install updates NOW and you don't know what it's gonna break… :confused:

I don't even work in such high-risk environments but even the point-of-sale stuff can't be just simply upgraded all the time. You usually run terminals with a very specific hardware in order to be able to provide repairs or exchange faulty modules over a relatively long timeframe. This is not like in the consumer world, where there's new machines every other week and people understand that that touchscreen for your 4-yr-old 500 $ laptop just isn't available any longer. Your customer bought an ATM for X0,000 $, so it better run for a while or they'll take their next business elsewhere.

Then there's the software. Sure, your run-of-the-mill office products will run fine on anything. But highly-integrated, specific software? Sometimes it's not even about money, you just can't get an alternative. The best and most reliable POS software I use needs SMB1.0. In fact, I'm required to even turn OFF SMB2.0 in order to have everything work over a network. Not great in light of the recent ETERNALBLUE attack, is it? :D

Then again, that's the way it is – the manufacturer won't rewrite their entire product that has grown over decades and is now ripe with essential features. Neither will others or the ones that do just aren't a viable alternative. Back to figuring out stuff by counting fingers is out of the question, too…

TL;DR: Yeah, if you could have upgraded and didn't, tough luck. But then there's lots who simply can't for one reason or another.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
That's the beauty of evolution – stupid people removing themselves from the gene pool, one click at a time. :p

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Maybe he is speaking of the expensive costs of Microsoft's Premier support contracts to provide security updates to enterprises and other large organizations for a certain period of time after end of extended support?

Critical systems will always be difficult. Fortunately - Windows 10 Enterprise (although not available to the general public) does have the ability to significantly delay updates but it is far from perfect. Then there is Windows embedded - which runs so many things like POS, ATM's, In-store kiosks, sometimes even your car's electronic/GPS system. Upgrading the software, firmware and possibly hardware in the middle of production on that..........wow. Far from easy - and it can get really ex[ensive.

For consumers - should we expect the market-share to dip mainly as a result of failing hardware? (A new piece of hardware may cost $100 vs a new PC for home use may cost $300 for someone with light use of one at home).

tryfon

Level 2
Verified
May 13, 2017
A lot of people don't want to fork out the money for an update to their computer that would likely slow it down. Most people just rely on being cautious and not downloading malware, which doesn't work for most people

SaeedLohana

Level 2
Verified
May 28, 2017
they are too lazy or in many organizations people are not technical enough so they don't want to leave an operating system on which they learnt to work, they don't want a new look of an operating system like windows 7. Windows 8.1 or 10? Never.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Well, Eugene made a mistake in his question formulation. A bit stupid for a guy like him who is at the head a cyber security megacorp. His question is like asking 'Why in some cultures they don't do like us?'. Bypassing all the historical facts and geographical variations just to appear to be on the right side. Instead of saying something like that,if he had said ' It's more important than ever to update your system to the latest OS today ', it would be different.

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
some companies just don't bother to upgrade, and plus, you can pay Microsoft to give XP updates to you. Many companies and businesses do this. They pay Microsoft to keep making updates for XP and is only released to them, not regular users. This way, XP can still be used without any security risks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.