European Lawmakers Vote to Ban Kaspersky Lab Products

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
In a plenary session of the European Parliament that will be held today in Strasbourg, France, members of the European Parliament (MEPs) will vote on a motion for resolution which includes a clause to ban the use of software programs "that have been confirmed as malicious, such as Kaspersky Lab."

This particular ban clause is included in A8-0189/2018 [1, 2, 3], a motion proposed to the European Parliament by its Foreign Affairs Commission.

The motion's purpose is to establish general guidelines for an EU-wide strategy on cyber defense. In the motion's lengthy body, there is also a clause that addresses public-private partnerships.

According to clause #76, if the motion passes as proposed by the Foreign Affairs Commission, EU states will be called upon and expected to review and ban software programs that have been confirmed as malicious.

Motion explicitly mentions Kaspersky as malicious software

The motion's text matter-of-factly refers to Kaspersky products as "confirmed as malicious," following the lead set by the US last year.

76. Calls on the EU to perform a comprehensive review of software, IT and communications equipment and infrastructure used in the institutions in order to exclude potentially dangerous programmes and devices, and to ban the ones that have been confirmed as malicious, such as Kaspersky Lab;

"The wording ('confirmed') is interesting, but to fully appreciate it you need to be aware this report has its origins in the Foreign Affairs Committee where words like that matter," Dr. Lukasz Olejnik, an independent cybersecurity and privacy policy advisor, told Bleeping Computer yesterday.

Poccie

Level 1
Verified
May 4, 2018
This has nothing to do with the quality of the software i'm afraid. This is a simple and oldskool East vs West play. From an EU standpoint, banning Kaspersky (regardless of my personal opinion) is a logical step. Kaspersky is a russian company and therefore has to follow Russian law. If that means that Russian Intelligence could take over the company and use Kaspersky instances for spying activities, the risk for the EU/US is simply to big.
This has nothing to do with the good intentions of Kaspersky or the quality of their product, it's simply risk management on a Geo-Political level.
And to answer any remarks about Trend Micro, Symantec en McAfee being NSA controlled spyware tools. Even if that would be true, being spied on by a NATO partner is still by far a better choice out of two bad options.

Sundaram999

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2014
This has nothing to do with the quality of the software i'm afraid. This is a simple and oldskool East vs West play. From an EU standpoint, banning Kaspersky (regardless of my personal opinion) is a logical step. Kaspersky is a russian company and therefore has to follow Russian law. If that means that Russian Intelligence could take over the company and use Kaspersky instances for spying activities, the risk for the EU/US is simply to big.
This has nothing to do with the good intentions of Kaspersky or the quality of their product, it's simply risk management on a Geo-Political level.
And to answer any remarks about Trend Micro, Symantec en McAfee being NSA controlled spyware tools. Even if that would be true, being spied on by a NATO partner is still by far a better choice out of two bad options.

The whole democracy of the West boils down to going and democratic buying pants in the market. In all other respects, there must be control over democracy... People should be free in their choice. Including software for the PC/device

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Let me get this straight. They are gonna vote on banning Kaspersky off EU networks because they (Kaspersky) found an NSA contractor who was handling hack tools and now Kaspersky is somehow to blame because they were doing their job. Has any of the idiots from EU bureaucratic machine or the mainstream media parroting same bullshit educated on how cloud systems work in antiviruses? Like, even the bare basics? Nope. Lets just blame Kaspersky. Because reasons. I wonder who they'd blame if avast! found it instead of Kaspersky. Who would they blame then?

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Well... after they ban Kaspersky they should also ban:

Masha and The Bear... it's obviously using subliminal messages to indoctrinate our children...
Fifa World Cup 2018... Well it's in Russia...:rolleyes:

In a more serious note I can understand the paranoia of having Russian/American/Chinese software in mission critical and government systems but the fact is most countries do not have locally developed security software so either ban all 3 major players or learn to live with the risk that any piece of software may be weaponized...

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
6/13/2018 EU has voted to BAN Kaspersky's products
6/14/2018 EU has voted to replace Kaspersky's products with McAfee's products
6/20/2018 EU warns whole Europe to beware about ransomware that's spreading all around the continent and nothing can stop it

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

What does the NSA use these special tools for anyway? I thought they were supposed to be used to gather info on other countries that are not the USA's friends. In other words for National Security. Things went very south when Russia annexed Crimea.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.