European Lawmakers Vote to Ban Kaspersky Lab Products

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A broad majority of EU lawmakers backed the resolution on Wednesday (13 June), which sets the European Parliament’s approach to a European cyber defence policy, an area where EU institutions have been moving to step up their work. The European Commission, Council and other EU offices should streamline and improve their cybersecurity and intelligence sharing work, the report said. The Parliament resolution described EU countries as vulnerable to cybersecurity attacks “due mainly to the fragmentation of European defence strategies and capabilities”.

It was approved 476 votes in favour, 151 against, and 36 MEPs who abstained.

The MEPs’ report is not legally binding—but its most controversial demand will spark fears that Brussels has set its sights on clamping down on foreign technology companies.Its most explosive line is buried at the end of the report, where the Parliament asks EU bodies “to perform a comprehensive review of software, IT and communications equipment and infrastructure used in the institutions in order to exclude potentially dangerous programmes and devices”.

In the first-ever such call from an EU institution, the MEPs want EU institutions “to ban the ones that have been confirmed as malicious, such as Kaspersky Lab”.

EU Digital Commissioner Mariya Gabriel wrote in response to an MEP’s question this April that there is “very limited use of Kaspersky Lab software in the Commission”. She said that Commission analysts use a Kaspersky Lab antivirus “to analyse malware samples in a controlled off-line environment separated from the Commission networks and without any direct Internet connection”. Gabriel added “the Commission has no indication for any danger associated with this anti-virus engine”. EC3, the cybercrime unit of EU police agency Europol, does not use Kaspersky Lab products, said Tine Hollevoet, a Europol spokeswoman.

But the agency receives cybersecurity advice from researchers at private companies, including Kaspersky Lab.

Parliament demands EU institutions ban Kaspersky Lab cybersecurity products

D

Deleted member 178

Honestly I still have yet to see any concrete evidence that kaspersky is a malicious software.
Not the software itself, more the way it can used to collect sensitive infos.
the code can be internally modified and obfuscated to ask it to silently upload files with certain names...problem is KSN...
KSN servers were already hacked and compromised by spying agencies, so the threat is real.

Not saying , you cant be huge in Russia without government support...

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Well ya know if you have not noticed, the Cold War is back in full swing. I would guess this means to get rid any thing that can or can not be used in a cyber war. We all know all the big players hack each other. NSA, Fancy Bear- NSA ect.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Well as long as those who voted for the motion only stop the use it for government agencies then i don't see that it affects the majority of people like myself. Although i don't use it at the moment, i would have no hesitation in going back to Kaspersky.

In the first-ever such call from an EU institution, the MEPs want EU institutions “to ban the ones that have been confirmed as malicious, such as Kaspersky Lab”.
(quoted from @upnorth post, i made a mess of inserting the quote :emoji_flushed:)

Did anyone hear what the others "such as Kaspersky Lab" were/are ? There are probably scores of them and it seems unfair that they are singling one out by naming it.

Thankfully it is not legally binding but my guess is that most corporations and business' and even some of the general public will see this as a good enough reason to stop using it :mad: I can see some stores going the way that Best Buy and Office Depot (to name a few) did and stop selling it. Thank heaven for downloads but then again the likes of Amazon etc will probably pull it too.

McAfee .... seriously !!! I am quite sure that with Trumps new found friendship with Kim Jong-Un then pretty soon they will be promoting whatever is used there then the EU will follow him
jesus-leading-flock-of-sheep-smiley-emoticon.gif
That is NOT Jesus but a dark haired Trump with all his mindless followers :ROFLMAO:

https://www.kaspersky.com/about/pre...lab-moving-core-infrastructure-to-switzerland

^ So, is this not relevant?

Well as long as those who voted for the motion only stop the use it for government agencies then i don't see that it affects the majority of people like myself. Although i don't use it at the moment, i would have no hesitation in going back to Kaspersky.

In the first-ever such call from an EU institution, the MEPs want EU institutions “to ban the ones that have been confirmed as malicious, such as Kaspersky Lab”. (quoted from @upnorth post, i made a mess of inserting the quote :emoji_flushed:)

Did anyone hear what the others "such as Kaspersky Lab" were/are ? There are probably scores of them and it seems unfair that they are singling one out by naming it.

Thankfully it is not legally binding but my guess is that most corporations and business' and even some of the general public will see this as a good enough reason to stop using it :mad: I can see some stores going the way that Best Buy and Office Depot (to name a few) did and stop selling it. Thank heaven for downloads but then again the likes of Amazon etc will probably pull it too.

McAfee .... seriously !!! I am quite sure that with Trumps new found friendship with Kim Jong-Un then pretty soon they will be promoting whatever is used there then the EU will follow him
jesus-leading-flock-of-sheep-smiley-emoticon.gif
That is NOT Jesus but a dark haired Trump with all his mindless followers :ROFLMAO:
I don't understand the random insult on Trump and his supporters? Its irrelevant and off-topic. McAfee also isn't bad as you make it out to be either. AV-TEST McAfee

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
https://www.kaspersky.com/about/pre...lab-moving-core-infrastructure-to-switzerland

^ So, is this not relevant?

I don't understand the random insult on Trump and his supporters? Its irrelevant and off-topic. McAfee also isn't bad as you make it out to be either. AV-TEST McAfee

Seriously ? Get a life man and lighten up. IMO it is not an insult on Trump but after he declared that Kaspersky was unfit for human consumption other countries followed suit, mine included.
Barclays bank here in the UK even advised it's customers not to use it and withdrew it's free offer of said anti-virus to their customers all on the back of what the UK government deemed to be an unsafe product and all of that came after Trump decided the Russians were not flavour of the month he then advised retailers to ditch it and all because of some arsewipe NSA employee who took files away from his workplace to use on his home computer which was running Kaspersky (yeah, great decision from aforementioned arsewipe) and Kaspersky got hold of them (Kaspersky did nothing wrong, it is designed to analyse those sceret files) . I can understand government agencies not using it but in the US that decision was taken away from Joe Public and pretty soon that is what will happen within Europe because of this vote.

You are entitled to your opinion on Mcafee just as much as i am and go for your life mate and use it if you want to, i will decline.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Ihave been running Kaspersky AV for three weeks along with Voodooshield in silent mode and all seems good. When my trial runs out in 7 days I will take them up on their 50% off offer for 3 PC's .
The only thing I have to say about Trump or any other world leader is they don't make decisions on their own. They have advisers of all kinds. And so for whatever reason their advisors told them to stop using A or B software. It doesn't matter if it was because they found hacking tools or not. I is most likely just the new cold war playing out. Putin has been saying this week , he wants a meeting with Trump soon. Both China and Russia share a border with NK. That must make them worry a bit if the USA cozies up to NK.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
6/13/2018 EU has voted to BAN Kaspersky's products
6/14/2018 EU has voted to replace Kaspersky's products with McAfee's products
6/20/2018 EU warns whole Europe to beware about ransomware that's spreading all around the continent and nothing can stop it

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! EU/US/Russia: The propaganda simply wears different clothes in each! No matter how it looks, it's still propaganda.

... McAfee has been doing well for a while, I hope they can keep it up.

Yes, like someone recovering from an accident and now using a walker? Heavy, heavy, heavy. One of the last I would use even for free.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

EU/US/Russia: The propaganda simply wears different clothes in each! No matter how it looks, it's still propaganda.

I hear you about that but I must tell you a story I can never forget. My grandfather told me this 60 years ago when I was just 5 years old. He had visions before TV and he did not listen to radio. In fact back then he only had an outhouse and no running water. He di have electricity and sometimes a paper. He worked for the railroad all his life and was retired all the time I knew him. He told me that one day the Russians and the Chinese would one day fight the USA and at some point the Russians would switch and fight the Chinese with the USA. I guess we will see if this plays out.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Witchhunt, false information, perception control.. I'm going to rant here. Be prepared..

I view this sort of how I viewed 'them' doing things like telling people margarine was healthier than butter. That fluoride in our water is a good idea and we should drink it, and give our kids fluoride tablets. That eating eggs is bad for you. That prescriptions are good and work perfectly while supplements are bad and can kill you. Endless things from them.. The people behind all of this are the same bad actors, throughout all of time with the same agendas. Control, suppression, power, manipulation.. Fear/Anxiety/Panic is their elixir. Suppression of awareness, cultivation of suppression of cognition is paramount.

Long ago I realized - whatever these 'things' recommend, you are better off to do the opposite.. It's served me well in all aspects of life for decades..

Kaspersky won't play along with the sleazeballs and as such, it's crucial they blacklist it. Kaspersky detects and stops their 'stuff', they don't want you using it. Kaspersky is the best security suite available, even haters won't deny it. Even people like me that don't use it, and don't recommend it cannot deny it's quite simply the best suite. Kaspersky won't bow down to 'them' and this is the result..

TLDR; They're liars. Kaspersky software is strong and protective. Kaspersky doesn't care about your Steam games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Not the software itself, more the way it can used to collect sensitive infos.
the code can be internally modified and obfuscated to ask it to silently upload files with certain names...problem is KSN...
KSN servers were already hacked and compromised by spying agencies, so the threat is real.

Not saying , you cant be huge in Russia without government support...

I think this is more of a systemic issue rather than specifically Kaspersky's or Russia's. The same can be done for other antiviruses originating from other countries as well. Some might argue that US companies would also be susceptible to such an attack because of the amount of effort they are putting into it's spying program.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
This has nothing to do with the quality of the software i'm afraid. This is a simple and oldskool East vs West play. From an EU standpoint, banning Kaspersky (regardless of my personal opinion) is a logical step. Kaspersky is a russian company and therefore has to follow Russian law. If that means that Russian Intelligence could take over the company and use Kaspersky instances for spying activities, the risk for the EU/US is simply to big.
This has nothing to do with the good intentions of Kaspersky or the quality of their product, it's simply risk management on a Geo-Political level.
And to answer any remarks about Trend Micro, Symantec en McAfee being NSA controlled spyware tools. Even if that would be true, being spied on by a NATO partner is still by far a better choice out of two bad options.
Yes...it's real economic and political war that lasts already from few centuries...war in which KL is a one of dozens of "hands" connected to Russian government, special forces or secret agencies like KGB. You can always resign from KGB...KGB will never resign from you.

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Source: European Lawmakers Vote to Ban Kaspersky Lab Products

Kaspersky Lab has been forced to pull out of cross-industry collaborative efforts at a European level after the European Parliament passed a resolution calling for a ban on its products.

The resolution in question, which was passed by 476 votes to 151, focused on the EU’s foreign and security policy.

It stated:

“Calls on the EU to perform a comprehensive review of software, IT and communications equipment and infrastructure used in the institutions in order to exclude potentially dangerous programmes and devices, and to ban the ones that have been confirmed as malicious, such as Kaspersky Lab.”

Although non-binding, the resolution could lead to more EU member states taking action to clamp down on sales of the Russian AV vendor’s products.

As a result, the firm has pulled out of co-operative efforts with Europol and the No More Ransom initiative “until the withdrawal of the European Parliament decision.”

“Why ban the company protecting Europeans from 320K malicious threats a day? A backwards step voted on this week in @Europarl_EN weakening #cybersecurity across the EU,” tweeted CEO Eugene Kaspersky.

“We get a ‘media-ocracy’ – with ‘news’ that isn’t news at all, just a vehicle for instilling in readers’ minds images of an ‘enemy’; then the 'news' are used to justify high-level political moves against the next-in-line-to-be-out-of-favor company.”

The move follows a ban on the use of Kaspersky Lab products for US and UK government use, and their removal from the shelves in some US stores such as Best Buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The EU is just as corrupt as the rest of them, it makes no difference and should be no surprise.

Banning Kaspersky software does not mean, you, as a consumer cannot use it. Get over this political news-crap.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
The EU is just as corrupt as the rest of them, it makes no difference and should be no surprise.

Banning Kaspersky software does not mean, you, as a consumer cannot use it. Get over this political news-crap.

The problem is that many people will panic with the news. Kaspersky faces a real risk of seeing a severe user base decrease...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.