European Lawmakers Vote to Ban Kaspersky Lab Products

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Well, I think the situation is very interesting right now. I mean, no one probably wants to experience a war, but it would be very exciting to experience something like that. Same with Kaspersky. Nobody wants it to be banished, but everyone wants to know what would happen and what reaction would come.

Reactions: given and Weebarra

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Well no surprise here. You had to figure EU was next following US. If they were in fact using Kaspersky, i would like to see what they move onto next. But that probably wont be disclosed.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Good step > Before that ban Google and Yahoo as well
Ban in this order > Google yahoo Norton Trend Mcafee( Very imp) Kaspersky Avast..>> Goes on:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Looks like a Hypocrite to me..Too paronia:D

Reactions: given

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
And what do you want to search websites with? You're a genius...
We have a lot to thank Google for. Search, Android, YouTube, and, and, and...
No what i mean is before going that far..Spywares and password stealers are in front of our eyes.
So Ban these before them else SHUTUP!
I myself use GOOGLE so there are somethings which we cant live without. Kaspersky is a quality software and one among that we cant live with out.

Reactions: given and Weebarra

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
This thread is something...It's like charging up your own biases. Man, those eurocrats emphaised that kaspersky is 'confirmed malicious'. Now, that's great, kaspersky is #####... I can agree with everything. Point here is, if they are so sure about this why didn't they bother to provide any evidence? If it comes to speculation, then anyone can speculate anything. Kaspersky is known threat against GCHQ & NSA surveillance.I don't know whether kaspersky products are used by FSB or not, but NSA & GCHQ does know that they have to terminate kasperky by any means.

Now, I can believe kasperky helps FSB or any state sponsored russian hacking groups to develop certain malwares,tricks,programs etc. But, through their product they...Nah mate, they won't take that risk. Their products were used by US defence agencies. Do you think no source code audit was done during that time? Btw, kaspersky also used to collaborate with europol. Now, ban kaspersky. It's all understable. But what about those malwares which were developed by NSA & GCHQ.

Personally, I don't believe anything is apolitical. Every move against kaspersky is based upon political derivation. Cyberwar just has started, lets see where it will take us.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This article from 2017 sums it up pretty good IMO.
In all the recent bombshell reports about the Kaspersky anti-virus software, it's easy to focus on the Russian threat and miss the general context: Every government that employs hackers tries to weaponize anti-virus software. Government departments certainly need to consider that in choosing their own software; whether that's something the average computer user should worry about is a different matter.

The campaign against Kaspersky in the U.S. is fraught with unfortunate consequences for the cybersecurity industry, as it begins to drop all pretense of being an international community. Cybersecurity firms will now inevitably be seen -- not just by intelligence services, but also by the general public -- as potential tools in the hands of the nation states in which they are based. Perhaps the only silver lining is that the campaign may make consumers give a thought to their private security priorities and the tools needed to meet them.

If Kaspersky Bothers You, So Must Its Rivals

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Well, I think the situation is very interesting right now. I mean, no one probably wants to experience a war, but it would be very exciting to experience something like that.

o_O very exciting is not a term i would use if God forbid we were to experience a war regardless of the reasons that started one, more like complete and utter fear of the future and what it held.

Sorry for going off topic but i was horrified to read that :emoji_fearful:

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
o_O very exciting is not a term i would use if God forbid we were to experience a war regardless of the reasons that started one, more like complete and utter fear of the future and what it held.

Sorry for going off topic but i was horrified to read that :emoji_fearful:
I agree, I'm sorry. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to Kaspersky's reaction and their response.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
So if the vote manages to pass, than consumers can't access and purchase Kaspersky products?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
So if the vote manages to pass, than consumers can't access and purchase Kaspersky products?
to be clear, the proposed EU ban, if approved, applies only to the use of "dangerous programs" inside EU institutions and does not target the EU commercial software market.
Today, the EU Will Vote on a Motion That Recommends Banning Kaspersky Products From Official EU Networks

The vote already passed and it's not legal binding but it already done the damage it was supposed to do as it managed to mention Kaspersky as malicious and GCHQ is dancing on there tables for sure but I don't belive it will actually kill the company even if many " agencies " wish it.

Kaspersky himself seems happy. :oops:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.