Everything about HTTPS filtering in Adguard

Would you use Adguard For Desktop?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
This post is intended for more technically advanced users and meant to provide a detailed description on the HTTPS filtering and why it is essential in Adguard. The thing is, HTTPS is a very serious and sensitive subject, and we want to be as open here as possible.

What is HTTPS?
HTTPS (HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure) is an extension of the HTTP protocol that supports encryption to increase security. This protocol is used to securely transmit valuable information like personal data, credit card details, etc.

Using HTTPS is strictly advantageous, since encrypted traffic is protected from ‘eavesdropping’ by third parties, and we can only welcome this. HTTPS spread has been on the rise in the recent years, mostly because it is being encouraged by Google, and also due to the emergence of a free certification center Let’s Encrypt.

The diagram below describes the difference between plain HTTP protocol and secure HTTPS protocol.

additional article : HTTPS filtering: known issues | Adguard Knowledgebase

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
The part of the article explaining how HTTPS Filtering works in Adguard:
How does HTTPS filtering work?

If it were easy, HTTPS wouldn’t be that secure. Upon browser’s attempt to connect to a server, Adguard establishes two secure connections: one with the browser (or another app), and the other with the server. It is crucial that browser trusts Adguard and the connections created by it. For this purpose, Adguard generates a special (and unique) root certificate and installs it into the system and, when it is required, into some browsers too (e.g. Firefox). Thus, Adguard can see what is happening inside of the secure connection and do its job - block ads and tracking.
For better understanding we depicted this process:
what_is_https_filtering.png

Does my traffic remain encrypted and secure?

Of course! Your connection with a remote server remains encrypted and secure. Adguard, just as your browser, checks the server’s certificate before deciding whether to filter it or not.
Nevertheless, HTTPS filtering has its drawbacks. The most important of them is the fact that it hides from the browser the real certificate that the website uses. Instead, the browser sees the certificate issued by Adguard.
Because of this, we undertake several additional measures to improve the connection’s security.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront note that the filters may (or not) be as good as the extensions you mentioned, but since i guess you won't spend your surfing time on looking for things leading to malicious websites, it should be ok.
I have uBlock Origin(default filters + some antiransomware filters), uBlock Origin Extra, BitDefender TrafficLight and Avira Browser Safety extensions so just wondering adding Adguard for desktop would be of any use.

I think having Adguard here would serve no purpose then unless it(Adgaurd) has some compelling features for me to use.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I have uBlock Origin(default filters + some antiransomware filters), uBlock Origin Extra, BitDefender TrafficLight and Avira Browser Safety extensions so just wondering adding Adguard for desktop would be of any use.
I rather use AdG than stockpiling extensions :)
remember ADg is for blocking ads not blocking malicious sites even if it also does it. it has nice side-features i deem useful, but that just me.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Extensions (Adguard's own included) block stuff from loading within a browser, Adguard desktop block it from downloading, like HOSTS.
You can add the same filters like those from uBlock Origin to Adguard extension and both perform about the same. +/- a few filters difference when you visit the same website. No clear winner here so not required to have both.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

I think having Adguard here would serve no purpose then unless it(Adgaurd) has some compelling features for me to use.

Thanks
You already have Google Safe Browsing. An additional addon for marginal diminishing potential benefit doesn't seem right to me.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I really don't like it and it's the reason i don't use adguard desktop client. When you enable it, adguard then replaces each certificate of the https sites to their certificate making it impossible to see what the certificate was.
Sure if you really want to use adguard desktop disable https filtering and install their extension to do that. I don't see the reason to do that though so i use ublock origin.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
To get malware protection from Adguard, do you need to enable additional filters, or are default settings pretty good?
I added more filters to the default

I use Adguard(for desktop) for additional protection when I use Brave browser

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author

Thanks

Get rid of all of that and just use adguard.. Those all stacked up isn't helping your browsing speed or security.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I disabled Google Safe Browsing. Trying to move away from Google for me.

I disable all Google browsing features and block google Analytics and such on my UTM. Every chrome installation has all of that google safe browsing stuff (and more) completely disabled. I don't trust them so any way I can limit telemetry going to them I will attempt to implement.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I disable all Google browsing features and block google Analytics and such on my UTM. Every chrome installation has all of that google safe browsing stuff (and more) completely disabled. I don't trust them so any way I can limit telemetry going to them I will attempt to implement.

You can disable All services connected to Google in the browser. You can DON'T use any extension.

If you are using Chrome/Chromium/Chromium-based browsers try to block your browser phoning home to Google on start up and see if you can do it. Brave (Chromium-based) browser is an exception.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I have found that Adguard misses a lot of ads out of the box. I use both uBlock Origin with Adguard on my desktop. I am sure there are overlaps but I do not suffer any ill effects from it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.