Assigned Evjl's Rain Zemana Report - January 2017

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Untitled.png

Zemana Antimalware with Pandora.pdf

Attachments

• Zemana Antimalware with Pandora.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 694

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I decided to stop testing zemana AM so these are the results
You can decide its effectiveness based on the table above but you should take results with a grain of salt

Zemana is great as a second opinion scanner however its realtime protection with pandora is lacking against zero-day malwares. It has great signatures so it can protect you against older malwares

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I suppose ZAL has the same problems considering that ZAM is included.
And if it stops the Pandora from settings the results are worse or better?
ZAL will have the same result. Without pandora, it can only be worse. I think when pandora is off, dynamic tests will be all 0.

the problem with ZAM's realtime protection is it doesn't scan every access of the PC, perhaps to reduce server load. The fact is when I ran the malwares, the system was infected and then I performed a system scan with zemana, it found so many malwares -_-
I emailed to zemana support and they said they passed this message to the developers

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I think it sucks. I executed .exe files but it was silent
at 1 test I saw it didn't scan .hta file by static scan
Yeah, you run an exe but maybe that was just the downloader of the malware? Maybe the actual malware executed was not exe and pandora ignores it?

Anw one or the other way it sucks especially when this program sucks memory pretending it's chrome.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yeah, you run an exe but maybe that was just the downloader of the malware? Maybe the actual malware executed was not exe and pandora ignores it?

Anw one or the other way it sucks.
yeah, many of them were downloaders. Zemana didn't have the signatures for them and when the parent files were passed, dropped files were likely to be allowed without being scanned
I was confused when I say this because when I executed a .hta file, zemana was able to block the dropped malware in temp folder. However when I executed .exe downloaders, zemana allowed everything

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
yeah, many of them were downloaders. Zemana didn't have the signatures for them and when the parent files were passed, dropped files were likely to be allowed without being scanned
I was confused when I say this because when I executed a .hta file, zemana was able to block the dropped malware in temp folder. However when I executed .exe downloaders, zemana allowed everything
I will need to check the actual malware to know more but anw something is wrong. Had similar disappointing experience every time i tried the program and i skipped it for a few months now.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I have a license for Zemana but it has always seemed a amateur type AV/AM.

Tests like these confirm it's really not that good at protection. 33% of malware samples was not detected!

Biggest problem for me is Zemana won't confirm what AV engine they are using. Strikes me as strange behavior.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Just tested all 7 samples within 11th January archive with Pandora enabled and all of them were blocked.

Are you sure you had Real Time Protection ON like on the image below and Pandora enabled?

xeef4k.png
yes of course I had it enabled, always double checked them before the tests and also performed a scan to see if the internet connection was intact or not. That's why there were some detections in Dynamic tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.