Evorim Free Firewall - Have you tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mops21

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Here is a new Free Firewall from Evorim

Code:
http://www.evorim.com/en/free-firewall

They have a Win10 SpyStop
Code:
http://www.evorim.com/en/win10-spystop.html

Both products are in German and Englisch available

With best Regards
Mops21

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Screenshots attached running in VBox Windows 8.1 64-bit.

upload_2016-4-25_14-42-56.png upload_2016-4-25_14-43-27.png upload_2016-4-25_14-44-10.png upload_2016-4-25_14-45-2.png upload_2016-4-25_14-46-5.png upload_2016-4-25_14-47-20.png

You will need to run shortcut after installation to enable Evorim's Firewall.

Windows Firewall will be disabled, but you must enable Evorim's Firewall to On. Otherwise, you won't be protected by any software firewall.

Set to Paranoid mode and launched Internet Explorer for the Firewall Alert prompt.

I have not tested Evorim Free Firewall extensively and, personally, will not be using the software again. :)

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
it is ligth for me. specially the blocking the telemetry and all that "secret data " they got from us. but maybe some1 have to give a hard test on defenses vs instrusion blocking elements and lal those things firewall should do ? xD

Reactions: LAGUN

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
There has been a long-standing need for a decent freeware Windows firewall with outbound notifications. Perhaps this one might fit the bill. At least worth a try.
sure who know if this can become a " famous as comodo" any day. pls tell us the experience with this one. i tried and seems fine atm but bcs i never put my pc in risk i cant/wont try to enter in web dangerous or something like that

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Interface is pretty good. Alert pop-up needs improvements. I have used WFC before, however it's difficult to compare both products.

H

hjlbx

sure who know if this can become a " famous as comodo" any day. pls tell us the experience with this one. i tried and seems fine atm but bcs i never put my pc in risk i cant/wont try to enter in web dangerous or something like that

I won't try it. I have no need of firewall.

Reactions: dJim

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Looks like nice stand alone firewall, wonder how it compares to COMODO and ZoneAlarm (Firewall only).
I imagine this could work well in combo with ReHips, HitmanPro.Alert and a good AV/MW scanner.

Reactions: Polygon

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Looks like nice stand alone firewall, wonder how it compares to COMODO and ZoneAlarm (Firewall only).
I imagine this could work well in combo with ReHips, HitmanPro.Alert and a good AV/MW scanner.
i think this one got HIPS too ? anyway zone alarm cause me alot of problems in the past ( still waiting for some comapre V free / pro ) and while waiting for comodo V 10 atm this one keep doing the job. will be good if some1 shared any links or something to test firewalls ( but updates, the ones i find are soo old )

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
i think this one got HIPS too ? anyway zone alarm cause me alot of problems in the past ( still waiting for some comapre V free / pro ) and while waiting for comodo V 10 atm this one keep doing the job. will be good if some1 shared any links or something to test firewalls ( but updates, the ones i find are soo old )
Doesn't look like it has a HIPS.

I guess old firewall only tests are valid since it's a Firewall only, and only the firewall should be tested unless additional layers of security are added, wonder how it handles ARP spoofing etc.
Testing would also need to be made without a hardware firewall, untweaked Windows installation and both on LAN as Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Looks like a basic firewall which should suffice. It would be nice to find a basic firewall like TinyWall with outbound notifications.

I used to use WFC, but it has become increasingly a confused mess with all the changes over the past 6 months - at least to me. However, if one is so inclined you can create block rules easily using WFC for all the vulnerable processes shipped with Windows.

All most users need on a home system is Windows Firewall with simple outbound notifications; either Allow or Block a program. Right now the only two options are either WFC or it appear Evorim Firewall.

The ability to write complicated firewall rules just isn't necessary and really adds nothing to overall security.

Reactions: Mineria

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Looks like a basic firewall which should suffice. It would be nice to find a basic firewall like TinyWall with outbound notifications.

I used to use WFC, but it has become increasingly a confused mess with all the changes over the past 6 months - at least to me. However, if one is so inclined you can create block rules easily using WFC for all the vulnerable processes shipped with Windows.

All most users need on a home system is Windows Firewall with simple outbound notifications; either Allow or Block a program. Right now the only two options are either WFC or it appear Evorim Firewall.

The ability to write complicated firewall rules just isn't necessary and really adds nothing to overall security.
I like the simplicity of TinyWall, but the lack of outbound notifications killed it for me since I want to know and control what goes in and out.
Comodo does that extremely well, plus that it adds some additional protection which is nice to have at a LAN party and other public places, quite interesting to see people loose their internet connection (some even with well known enterprise firewalls) while a laptop with CFW has no issues.
The paid personal firewalls may have improved over the last two years though.

Windows Firewall with Advanced Security allows complicated rules too. if those are needed, but it doesn't have a user friendly GUI.

Off Topic:
We switched to MS Intune at a company some years ago, so I don't see Microsoft's protection as being less as long as there is a good hardware security appliance (might be to expensive for small offices) in place, most should be blocked there and not on the end users workstation.
Plus that it isn't as resource heavy as other Endpoint Protection suites, the staff complained quite a lot about SEP's hunger, even when used with possible lowest security settings.

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I may have considering using something like this (for it's simplicity) if I was wanting to use stock protection on Windows 10. Never had much luck with firewall controls for Windows Firewall. Then again I'd probably would use Privatefirewall with Windows Defender for a little more direct control over both network connections and processes. As it stands, I'm plenty happy with Norton Security and it's beyond basic firewall although I do agree that home users don't really need anything beyond basic (in terms of firewall).

Of course times are changing and basic protections as a whole have been quite useless by themselves. Windows 10 defaults I would not consider basic as far as Windows Defender is concerned. Quite the capable piece of software. Seems a bit heavy on the system though...

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Do you mean when it runs a scan?
CPU usage can be tuned via group policy (and registry on a Home edition).

Unfortunately no. General system performance seems to take quite a dip. It's the only AV software where I've seen noticiable system hangs when opening up an application. Startup time and thumbnails load speed also take a hit.

Haven't actually given it any tweaks (besides in a VM). Have Pro edition so may give that a try at some point. As far as I go on host is turning if off. Had a problem where I'd turn off real time on my AV then Windows Defender would kick on. Tweaking on the VM were only protection wise. Never took notice of performance tweaks to be honest. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.