Experian Glitch Exposing Credit Files Lasted 47 Days

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
"On Dec. 23, 2022, KrebsOnSecurity alerted big-three consumer credit reporting bureau Experian that identity thieves had worked out how to bypass its security and access any consumer’s full credit report — armed with nothing more than a person’s name, address, date of birth, and Social Security number. Experian fixed the glitch, but remained silent about the incident for a month. This week, however, Experian acknowledged that the security failure persisted for nearly seven weeks, between Nov. 9, 2022 and Dec. 26, 2022.
experianresponse.png

The tip about the Experian weakness came from Jenya Kushnir, a security researcher living in Ukraine who said he discovered the method being used by identity thieves after spending time on Telegram chat channels dedicated to cybercrime.
Normally, Experian’s website will ask a series of multiple-choice questions about one’s financial history, as a way of validating the identity of the person requesting the credit report. But Kushnir said the crooks learned they could bypass those questions and trick Experian into giving them access to anyone’s credit report, just by editing the address displayed in the browser URL bar at a specific point in Experian’s identity verification process.
When I tested Kushnir’s instructions on my own identity at Experian, I found I was able to see my report even though Experian’s website told me it didn’t have enough information to validate my identity. A security researcher friend who tested it at Experian found she also could bypass Experian’s four or five multiple-choice security questions and go straight to her full credit report at Experian.
Experian acknowledged receipt of my Dec. 23 report four days later on Dec. 27, a day after Kushnir’s method stopped working on Experian’s website (the exploit worked as long as you came to Experian’s website via annualcreditreport.com — the site mandated to provide a free copy of your credit report from each of the major bureaus once a year).
Experian never did respond to official requests for comment on that story. But earlier this week, I received an otherwise unhelpful letter via snail mail from Experian (see image above), which stated that the weakness we reported persisted between Nov. 9, 2022 and Dec. 26, 2022...."

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Thanks for the report! This is the same Experian agency Nissan felt was OK to monitor affected clients' data. Not sure if there was any overlap between this discovery and that particular time frame but if it was me, I would shop for another credit monitoring agency and take other security measures. No trust.

Security News - Nissan North America data breach caused by vendor-exposed database
Yes, I wondered if there was an overlap between the two stories too. I'm inclined to think that there probably is. The big credit rating agencies seem to have the market sewn up IMO. So, I'm not sure where people can get a fair and unbiased report on themselves without using one of these couldn't care less about the 'little people' agencies. Experian were supposedly investigating a leak at Equifax, which just seems like a cartel scratching each others backs to this cynic.

So much of the society that I live in depends on credit agencies - loans, mortgages etc, I've never seen why I should trust them, or why other agencies should trust these reports. As Brian Krebs reports, his data that Experian produced was not very accurate, it was the same with me when I checked out what they had on me. Yet they continue to be such heavy influencers in deciding much of who can do what when in a capitalist society, as far as finances go.

Experian have been pulled up before for sharing data without consent - Experian : Credit Agency Told Stop Sharing Data Without Consent

They seem to think that they operate in a parallel universe to the one that we live in, so that our laws may not apply to them.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If someone already has all of that information on someone else they can probably do more damage than run your credit report. That doesn't excuse this issue, but puts it into perspective.

This is why as a USA federal employee who has had my SSN stolen twice I have my credit frozen unless I'm seeking a loan.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.