F-Secure 17.5 beta 10 (now with Avira signatures)

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Hello all!

Seems like with latest beta, FS changed from Bitdefender to Avira engines.
Detection names speak for themselves:
1541174002026.png

Old engine was Aquarius (with Bitdefender signatures), new one is named Capricorn (with Avira signatures).

Quoting F-Secure team member
"Aquarius has been replaced with our new Capricorn engine. Capricorn is our new cloud-hybrid file and URL analysis service for F-Secure's endpoint products — for all platforms."

What do you think about such switch? One instant change I saw is smaller size of signature's folder (couple of hundred of megabytes).

Last edited:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I was already for some time thinking of a change to F-Secure, not only for protection and privacy, but mainly for the excellent performance (lightness, without braking the navigation, games and etc), with this good news, I think the time has come :cool:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I can comment that signature updates are way faster now, thanks to Avira's sigs being smaller and some of them offloaded to cloud. That's a good in my opinion - BD signature updates have always been somewhat clumsy.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Hello all!
Quoting F-Secure team member

Do you have the original post where thay talk about it, i was searching for it today and i could not find it :/ and yes it seems that the whole module is now from avira, i wonder if at the end it may decrease the detection rate.

I can comment that signature updates are way faster now, thanks to Avira's sigs being smaller and some of them offloaded to cloud. That's a good in my opinion - BD signature updates have always been somewhat clumsy.

errr, from what i know bitdefender adds signature every couple of hours (may be each 1 or 2 hours) in the case of avira (and checking with f-secure) they seem to release less signatures per day, as of right now the capricorn module shows that only 6 packages of signature have been rolled out, where in the case of bitdefender that count may double (10+ package signature)
1541204561432.png

PDT: like the new screen they added
1541204511460.png

Last edited:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Do you have the original post where thay talk about it, i was searching for it today and i could not find it :/ and yes it seems that the whole module is now from avira, i wonder if at the end it may decrease the detection rate.

Here you go: Re: FS Protection PC 17.5 releases - Page 3 - F-Secure Community - 111694

errr, from what i know bitdefender adds signature every couple of hours (may be each 1 or 2 hours) in the case of avira (and checking with f-secure) they seem to release less signatures per day, as of right now the capricorn module shows that only 6 packages of signature have been rolled out, where in the case of bitdefender that count may double (10+ package signature)
View attachment 200742

PDT: like the new screen they added
View attachment 200741
True: VDF History
I kept eye on it and FS beta was kept up to date (maybe some minutes delay - but it was updated according to Avira VDF releases).
They also seem to be using Avira's cloud to some extent. From my test you can see that one of the detections was APC/Heur.
APC = Avira Protection Cloud.

Furthermore I tested the same pack with Avira and many of the TR/ etc detections had actually "Cloud" after them (static scan). So it's definitely interesting to see where it leads :)

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
The reason F-Secure would transition to Avira's scanner is due to the high false positives of the F-Secure scan technology.
I can not speak on behalf of FS but as I understand, they still include their own engines (Hydra and Virgo). Thus the scanner technology is more or less the same (except BD sigs). I doubt Bitdefender was the source of the FPs - it should be DeepGuard which blocked "rather rare" files that belonged to legit software or otherwise flagged legitimate files because of their behaviour.
I had this similar issue some months ago, but now the situation seems to be much improved (as reflected in ... khm, tests).

However, I do not know the technical side of the scanner engine. I could be wrong.

My 2 cents (and experience with it - for over a year).

I can not speak on behalf of FS but as I understand, they still include their own engines (Hydra and Virgo). Thus the scanner technology is more or less the same (except BD sigs). I doubt Bitdefender was the source of the FPs - it should be DeepGuard which blocked "rather rare" files that belonged to legit software or otherwise flagged legitimate files because of their behaviour.
I had this similar issue some months ago, but now the situation seems to be much improved (as reflected in ... khm, tests).

However, I do not know the technical side of the scanner engine. I could be wrong.

My 2 cents (and experience with it - for over a year).

Then the next logical reason is Avira gave them a better deal.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Here you go: Re: FS Protection PC 17.5 releases - Page 3 - F-Secure Community - 111694

True: VDF History
I kept eye on it and FS beta was kept up to date (maybe some minutes delay - but it was updated according to Avira VDF releases).
They also seem to be using Avira's cloud to some extent. From my test you can see that one of the detections was APC/Heur.
APC = Avira Protection Cloud.

Furthermore I tested the same pack with Avira and many of the TR/ etc detections had actually "Cloud" after them (static scan). So it's definitely interesting to see where it leads :)

Have you done these test without internet? by the way, do anyone knows if in the normal version of f-secure they still include BD engine? (fs-safe)

Lord Ami

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Have you done these test without internet? by the way, do anyone knows if in the normal version of f-secure they still include BD engine? (fs-safe)
Normal still uses BD.

I've not done it without internet connection. I'll might as well do it with the next pack. Just for the sake of testing :)

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Normal still uses BD.

I've not done it without internet connection. I'll might as well do it with the next pack. Just for the sake of testing :)
let me know the results :D I guess that AVC is embedded into their security cloud as they use the same signature, it makes sense for me. I wonder why they never put bitdefender cloud into their own engine.

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
F-Secure realized the dream of avira lovers, who always asked for changes (new interface and a BB), but were never heard, simplifying, F-secure became what would be the ideal avira, with a good interface, lightness, and an acting blocker of behavior, In addition to the signatures (Avira and its own engine). F-Secure Point (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.