Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Protecting the irreplaceable

Our fast and easy-to-use software keeps viruses, worms, spyware, and harmful Internet sites away from your computer. You can explore the wonders of the web without a worry. Keep viruses, identity thieves and hackers away and enjoy the surf.

Please note that this beta software should not be used in production computers. This beta is for test use only.

What's new in Internet Security 2012 Beta?

• Improved User Experience - Keyless installation makes the installation as easy as possible. All-new Launch pad offers an easy access point to all aspects of the solution.
  • Optimized for Mobile Broadband - Automatically optimizes the security solution’s mobile broadband usage within home network and abroad (roaming).
  • All-new Online Safety - Browsing Protection, Web Filtering and Time Lock features are combined to one making the product powerful and easier to use.
  • Best Protection - Renewed Deepguard, real-time protection network and other proactive methods provide protection against malware with sophisticated, multilayered protection.

Benefits for beta testing participants

• A free six-month subscription during which you will automatically receive latest updates to the product
  • An opportunity to influence the final product
  • Rewards for best suggestions and for active feedback

How to join the beta?

Screenshots

IS2012Beta-LP.png

IS2012Beta-CS.png

IS2012Beta-OLS.png

Video : UI and settings.

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta is now available

The UI for the 2012 looks the same as the one for the 2011 product line ,nevertheless the UI is very easy to use and simple.
Looking at the changelog I can't see any new big features , the "Renewed Deepguard" looks promising though.

I have signed up and submitted a request to be a beta tester for F-Secure IS 2012.

Some screenshots :
[attachment=478]
[attachment=479]
[attachment=480]
[attachment=481]

The

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 728
  • 1.png
    1.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 744
  • 2.png
    2.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 710
  • 5.png
    5.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 689

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

In my opinion its like a Service Pack since all were improvements. Yes GUI is also same as 2011

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011

How odd, I know I already have a beta account at f-secure as I signed up for 2011, I have tried to login but no luck, Used password/username recovery option all possible emails/username I could have used it says Invalid.

I will re-create another beta account now.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

F-Secure accepted me as beta tester. :)

[attachment=508]
[attachment=509]
[attachment=510]

You can find bellow the release notes

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 762
  • 2.png
    2.png
    43 KB · Views: 744
  • 3.png
    3.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 744
  • IS2012R36-release-notes.rtf
    758.8 KB · Views: 778

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Ok,I've installed F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta (web installer , install went without any problemes) and their are basically two main components :
  1. Computer Security application
    • Virus & Spy Protection with Virus protection, Anti-spyware and Email scanning for viruses, Blacklight scanning for hidden malware and the proactive 0-day protection technology DeepGuard™.
    • Firewall, Application Control, Intrusion Prevention and Dial-up Control.
    • E-mail filtering with protection against spam and phishing.
  2. Online Safety application
    • Parental Control enables parents to restrict kids to browse only websites with contents which they approve of.
    • Browsing Protection blocks malicious websites and displays safety rating for websites.

Video : UI and settings.

Can you spot the bug at 0:28-0:33? :p

Screenshots :
[attachment=512]
[attachment=513]
[attachment=514]
[attachment=515]
[attachment=516]
[attachment=517]
[attachment=518]
[attachment=520]
[attachment=519]
[attachment=521]

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 727
  • 2.png
    2.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 675
  • 3.png
    3.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 706
  • 4.png
    4.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 668
  • 5.png
    5.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 683
  • 6.png
    6.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 699
  • 7.png
    7.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 715
  • 9.png
    9.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 670
  • 8.png
    8.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 715
  • 10.png
    10.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Manage to play a little with this program...and F-Secure has a real chance of winning "AVC Product of the year" award once again with their 2012 version. :)
Tested it with almost 50 malicous links .... The web guard blocked everything.
[attachment=523]

I've used my default browser to test it (Chrome 12 Stable) and the only thing that I would like to see ,would be a pop-up notifying me that a malicious site was blocked.
Right now ,the only thing that I've manage to see was a alert from Chrome saying :

Code:
No data received
Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.
Basically F-Secure killed the connection. :)

[attachment=522]

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 710
  • 2.png
    2.png
    96 KB · Views: 709

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems overall the F-secure beta is good on the video its probably a minor bug went to malfunction even there is a big green check.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
New beta build for F-Secure Internet Security 2012.As a major update ,we can see that F-Secure IS 2012 is now supporting FF 5.

Here are the main details :

F-Secure said:
Great news everyone!

We are pushing out a new version (R38) of F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta today. Just like in previous release, all the existing installations will receive this upgrade automatically through the update channels and of course the installers are also updated under the Resources section with the release notes.

Few things we would like to highlight from this release:

• Mozilla Firefox 5 Support
  • Access to F-Secure Health Check from the Launch pad

The release also contains bug fixes of course and few other items, please refer to the release notes for further details.

We would like to thank you all for your efforts and for your much valued feedback! Keep those feedbacks coming!

Happy testing!

Best Regards

Beta Piloting Team
[attachment=604]

Release notes :

New features introduced in TP38
· Mozilla Firefox 5 is now supported by F-Secure Online Safety
· Access to F-Secure Health Check is added as own item to launch pad
· Online Safety Blocklist feature allows you to block specific pages in web filter
· Quarantined items are imported from previous generation IS installation when upgrading to this release.
· F-Secure privacy policy is readable during installation. For this release the privacy policy is available only in English.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 747
  • IS2012R38-release-notes.rtf
    764.2 KB · Views: 873

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Yes, after the inquisitive BETA sign up [at some point I was considering to just cancel - do not remember when was the last time I had to provide such detailed information], it was only to be expected that the BETA will be run like a military operation. It all seems under control and I have no doubts they'll deliver another excellent product.

It's a shame that the 2012 release wouldn't look that different from 2011 version, given that the GUI hasn't changed dramatically [like, for example, the transformation of BitDefender 2011 to 2012]. But F-Secure IS 2011 has been such an accomplished product that there didn't seem much of a room to improve, and why mess with interface that works.

The only caveat with Internet Security suites I have is that their firewalls still seem to be lacking some features when compared to stand-alone products like Online Armor, Outpost Firewall, with may be the exception of Comodo IS with their "industrial" strength firewall.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011

Jack said:
Manage to play a little with this program...and F-Secure has a real chance of winning "AVC Product of the year" award once again with their 2012 version. :)

My sentiment too. Looking at the way they're performing at AV-Comparatives lately, the "Product of the year" does definitely seem within reach. The Whole Product Dynamic Tests for June has them tied with Panda and TrendMicro @ 99.3% Blocked, but with further 0.5% User Dependant, they could've potentially achieved 99.8%!

Last year, it was a close fight and they were given the award not the least because of the tremendous overall improvement [their in-house DeepGuard and Online Safety components obviously enhanced the excellent BitDefender core technology], this year it could very well be retained deservedly.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta R39 released

We are releasing a new version (R39) of F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta today. Again, all the existing installations will receive this upgrade automatically through the update channels and new release notes are available under the Resources section.

This release is Online Safety only release and brings two new features:

• Mozille Firefox 6 Beta 2 support
  • Unrated Category to Web Filter Restricted Content. Though this is still greyed out as the feature is not yet fully developed.

Also few bug fixes and so forth are included.

The R38 release has been a great success for us in terms of lots of quality feedback provided by you, our beloved testers! Keep em coming and lets make R39 even better![/list]

Attachments

• IS2012R39-release-notes.rtf
    90.3 KB · Views: 808

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I tried joining the BETA but still waiting for a reply.

It is the weekend though so that is probably why i have not got a message.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta R40 Released
August 11, 2011

New version available

We released new Beta R40 version of our product today! All the existing F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta installations will be automatically upgraded to this R40 version. After the installation, the computer must be rebooted.

The Installer & Release Notes section has also been updated with a new installer as well as up-to-date release notes.

Features introduced in F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta R40:

Mozilla Firefox 6 beta 4 support
Improved first time installation
Bug fixes

Features dropped in F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta R40:

F-Secure Health Check link removed from F-Secure Launch Pad
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support

IMPORTANT NOTE: New installations on Windows XP SP2 are no longer possible with Beta R40 release.

If you have existing F-Secure Internet Security 2012 Beta installation on Windows XP SP2, it will still get upgraded to this newest version. However, it is no longer supported installation. If you are still running Windows XP SP2, please upgrade to the Service Pack 3.

Windows XP SP3 will remain supported by F-Secure Internet Security 2012.

Yours,
F-Secure Beta Piloting Team

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Finally had some time to look at the latest BETA build, installed it yesterday on production PC to get as close to real world experience as possible.

1. Download was monstrous - 300+ MB [including the initial install download of 50+ MB, the rest was the updates] and the folder size is now over 436 MB. Although it scans for other/incompatible software when installing, no option to include/exclude individual components is given. The only problem I experienced was a few seconds of unresponsive system right at the end of the installation, when I wasn't quite sure whether the installer is still running.

2. I had to turn off the advanced system monitoring - it was causing Explorer, Control Panel, Gadgets to crash all the time.

3. The system runs really fast now and is more responsive, noticeable difference from the BitDefender Internet Security 2012 days. My boot time has improved by about 5-7 seconds.

4. Likewise, browsing is a lot faster, compliments to F-Secure for making their Online Safety component so efficient.

5. The scan speed is average, even when scanning known file types only and advanced heuristics turned off [slows down the scanning]. The CPU usage is horrendous, though, I had it on 80-93% pretty much all the time [RAM usage was 230+ MB], obviously an area that needs improvement. I will perform a few more scans to verify whether it's happening again.

6. There are 9 running processes [10, if you include the gadget] and they consume anything between 200 K and 50 MB [for the most memory intensive component - F-Secure Scanner Manager]. I haven't experienced any spikes from the real-time protection.

[attachment=797]

7. You can easily kill any F-Secure processes, hopefully self-protection will improve as it gets closer to RC.

P.S. Forgot to mention that Online Safety works with Firefox 6 [as mentioned in the Release Notes].

Attachments

• F-Secure BETA - Running Processes.jpg
    F-Secure BETA - Running Processes.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 647

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Yes, it seems it's a common trait for any BD-based software - BitDefender itself, G-Data, don't have experience with TrustPort, but I guess it will be the same.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Estimated from the screenshots like 43MB+, 300 MB installer is really a huge size installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.