Advice Request F-Secure Internet Security 2017 Review by PCMag 3,5/5 stars

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What do you think about this review?

• I agree

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • I disagree

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I do not read reviews like this one

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundaram999

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2014
F-Secure Internet Security 2017 Review by PCMag 3,5/5 stars

Pros

Excellent scores in our hands-on malware and malicious URL blocking tests. Firewall-assist component blocked many exploits. Banking protection prevents man-in-the-middle attacks.

Cons

Core functionality vulnerable to malicious attack. Child with administrator privileges can disable minimal parental control. Mediocre score in our antiphishing test. Good, not great, scores from independent testing labs.

Bottom Line

The antivirus components of F-Secure Internet Security scored high in our testing, aided by the suite-specific Browsing Protection features. However, the rest of its components don't make up a top-notch suite.

Full article: F-Secure Internet Security (2017)

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
First of all, there is no 2017 edition of F-secure yet, AFAIK :p
F-Secure is definitely not the best Internet Security Suite available for the price. It does ok but not the best in terms of detection rates & has very little extra features. I am not a big fan of the GUI or settings either but that's just me.
Well, actually it has pretty good detection rate and its DeepGuard is quite effective. In terms of protection F-Secure is really good.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
F-Secure is definitely not the best Internet Security Suite available for the price. It does ok but not the best in terms of detection rates & has very little extra features. I am not a big fan of the GUI or settings either but that's just me.

While they're not known for year-round firesales, I highly value their product as well as their policy.

The GUI is very simplistic (which I like) and the features cover most regular use cases. Imagine you're not a nerd and have to sift through something like Kaspersky. Pure horror. F-Secure is install and forget. It also doesn't nag much or constantly reminds you of its presence, just so you know your money was well spent like a majority does.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

First of all, there is no 2017 edition of F-secure yet, AFAIK :p

Well, actually it has pretty good detection rate and its DeepGuard is quite effective. In terms of protection F-Secure is really good.
Yeah it has good detection rates but nothing extremely good/the best of the best like Emsisoft...

While they're not known for year-round firesales, I highly value their product as well as their policy.

The GUI is very simplistic (which I like) and the features cover most regular use cases. Imagine you're not a nerd and have to sift through something like Kaspersky. Pure horror. F-Secure is install and forget. It also doesn't nag much or constantly reminds you of its presence, just so you know your money was well spent like a majority does.

I do agree that for newer users this is a good idea to have a small selection of settings, a simple GUI, etc.

W

Wave

IMO F-Secure is terrible. I still have nightmares and flashbacks to the day I went to do a test on my host, it was uninstalled within 30 seconds of the installation being complete and the test had to be cancelled. I don't know how they can possibly release it, even the installer is awfully slow. I had never seen anything like it before :D

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Yeah it has good detection rates but nothing extremely good/the best of the best like Emsisoft...

Well I do run Emsisoft, too. :p Just felt to give credit where it's due. ;)

I do agree that for newer users this is a good idea to have a small selection of settings, a simple GUI, etc.

Yeah, most would get lost otherwise and probably use settings that don't even protect them.

IMO F-Secure is terrible. I still have nightmares and flashbacks to the day I went to do a test on my host, it was uninstalled within 30 seconds of the installation being complete and the test had to be cancelled. I don't know how they can possibly release it, even the installer is awfully slow. I had never seen anything like it before :D

Wow. Had it on 5 PCs for a year and it was the first AV that really never got in the way. Switched to Emsisoft because so many in the AV community swear by it, but even there I had to punch out the hourly update messages. Can't recall the installation process exactly, but I think it went just fine back then.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I do not read their reviews or would I make a decision about using a software based on the review.
However as we are an unbiased site they can be posted.I think enough members make good points about these reviews that the inexperienced user could make an informed decision regarding using these reviews to purchase and use a reviewed software.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I tend not to believe any of the reviews they put out. I only believe what i can see happening in front of my eyes when i test them out myself. F-Secure, pretty darn good with signatures being that they share that responsibility with BD. Zero-Day, eh, their Deepguard is alright.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I do not read their reviews or would I make a decision about using a software based on the review.
However as we are an unbiased site they can be posted.I think enough members make good points about these reviews that the inexperienced user could make an informed decision regarding using these reviews to purchase and use a reviewed software.
Your spot on brother, I just don't like their reviews :)

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
I don't like any review either by magazine or AV labs, I like considering MT top notch member suggestion

635862412539767014-1091039256_tumblr_myoavezjeu1sor9n5o1_5001.gif

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
some time ago he used the F-Secure, and I was happy with this program, but the risk because I finished my license so I had to install another program security system.
I am not suggesting that the opinions of everyone take the same decisions which will use the program and how it matches the equipment you have.
besides, your security system have to try and adjust well after some time you can stwierdzć whether a program fits or not.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Oh yeah the installer is horrible. I tested in my VM about half a year ago & will be testing it soon on my channel and wow the installer takes ages!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.