Advice Request F-Secure is it good? What do you think about it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Myself a victim of 3 yr F SECURE IS
Pros: Good signatures (90%) constitute from Bit defender, Overactive web blocking, Good anti phishing , Simple UI
Cons: No boot time module, Banking module is dead, Deep guard too over active(It blocks any unknown hash not known to its database and cloud irrespective of its activity)..F secure in its whitepaper itself said never seen unknown hash file gets more scrutiny(BLOCK) than any other file.

That line keeps me away from using F SECURE..and their over active scripts in their website
NO BODY KNOW CYBER SECURITY LIKE US
ANYBODY NEED THE KEY FOR f secure is ping me

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I hate doing that...

***Please take below results with a grain of salt. Reason 1: It's only a small number of samples tested. Reason 2: F-Secure Browsing Protection will keep you off most threats before they even enter your system. Reason 3: No default user would run that much low detected , suspicious looking and named samples in a row against the AV, not caring about infecting the system in worst case.***

Feb.PNGJune.PNGJuly.PNG

Find the related threads here:
Malware Samples

To sum it up:

Pros:
*Lightweight
*You can get great deals for F-Secure SAFE in combination with F-Secure FreeDome on eBay (legit keys!)
*Bitdefender signatures
*superb phishing / malware pages detection
*quickly catches up in Static detection once it receives Bitdefender signatures
*F-Secure DeepGuard effectively prevents infection by Java based RATs (Adwinds,...), even without signatures

Cons:
*I haven't seen any FP yet (I do not install much unknown software), however I have seen F-Secure DeepGuard missing a lot malware
*Cleanup ability (for an infected system) is next to nowhere without signatures

My choice would be Norton Security.
It was feather light on my system, it has great signatures, great web protection, but it severly fails against Java based RATs (Adwinds,...). They aren't added fast, too.
NPE however is able to clean up many mess.

F-Secure combined with VoodooShield, OS Armor or something else - go for it!

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I used to be F-Secure fan and I even recommended it to my friends in the past. The product is overall very good. But you should expect a very high number of FPs. But I suggest you install the trial version and test it for 30 days. I think you will like it. To a great extent, it does not matter what security solution you have, but you need to be careful with what you're doing online.

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Thanks for your answers guys.
I think it will be good to add secureaplus premium or spyshelter firewall.
FPs is not a problem if i can exclude some file.
The worst for me is that the F secure hasn`t real firewall module and banking protection is nearly dead.
In this aspects a had use Eset IS or MKS vir and they are the best in my opinion. (firewall and banking protection)
But i don`t have to pay for F-Secure so its a difrent case :)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The worst for me is that the F secure hasn`t real firewall module and banking protection is nearly dead.

It was sad when they stopped with there own firewall 2013 but guess they followed the flow. Banking protection nearly dead? Sounds odd especially considering that been a feature they updated in there 2 last release.

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
My opinion is based at this https://avlab.pl/sites/default/files/68files/protection_epayment.pdf and several opinion that F-secure Banking Protection is the weekest on the market.
I know that is old test but only what i can find on the website of F-secure is that it have keystroke encryption, antiphishing and dll protection.

If you have more info about protection modules of safe banking in F-secure and shareing with me I`ll be grateful.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
My opinion is based at this https://avlab.pl/sites/default/files/68files/protection_epayment.pdf and several opinion that F-secure Banking Protection is the weekest on the market. I know that is old test but only what i can find on the website of F-secure is that it have keystroke encryption, antiphishing and dll protection. If you have more info about protection modules of safe banking in F-secure and shareing with me I`ll be grateful.

Thanks for the link and that was another eyebrow raiser as sure it's a year old test but the version that they tested made me confused.

SWhc0ZSc_o.png

The latest F-Secure " Safe " version thats out now is 17.4 and 2015 F-Secure was using a version called 15. I almost thought that they accidentally mentioned F-Secures VPN service Freedome as the latest is 2.18 but it's still not close enough. After a deeper search I found it's a subside version and why they would use that instead of the official version is just odd. I agree it's hard to find any specific tests on the Banking protection module but @Lord Ami might have tested it. Here's more information on the Banking feature.
Banking Protection adds another layer of security when banking online and/or carrying out online money transactions. When using Banking Protection, every website you enter is checked by querying our Security Cloud. By carrying out this check, Banking Protection gets the information whether the site is listed as one of our trusted banking sites or not. If it is, a notification is shown indicating that you are entering an online banking site secured with https, and that Banking Protection deems the site safe for you to use. When you start your next online banking session, Banking Protection automatically gets activated again. Note: On the PC, Banking Protection offers an elevated level of security. Once you have started an online banking session and Banking Protection mode has been activated, Banking Protection disconnects all untrusted applications from the Internet and prevents them from reconnecting while on a trusted banking site. Blocking connections prevents hijacking of your banking sessions keeping your money safe. You can also only access websites that are considered safe during a banking session, otherwise they get blocked. Note: To benefit from the Banking Protection feature on Android devices, SAFE browser needs to be in use.
What is Banking Protection and how does it work? - F-Secure Community

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
There are some Online Banking tests @ Test Library - MRG Effitas
Sadly I don't see F-Secure doing any good there :(

However, overall I really like the product. I think it offers great protection when you take into account real world attack vectors. It has been pretty decent against document files/exploits. DeepGuard is so-so. It still is rather signature/rules based I think, not as refined as some of the other behavior blockers.

After trying many of the products, I'm still back at FS Protection (beta) :)

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Are you sure?
azsT8VMR_o.png
This is test against file samples I think. Similar to any other test (AV-Comparatives/AV-Test).
What you want to look at are the tests below it - against real banking trojans. Banking Protection has little proactive protection against those :(

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This is test against file samples I think. Similar to any other test (AV-Comparatives/AV-Test).
What you want to look at is the tests below it - against real banking trojans. Banking Protection has little proactive protection against those :(

Your correct. The 2 other tests it Failed hard. It for sure needs another update. :D

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
I am using F Secure for it is a user-friendly antivirus app. It has a clear and simple interface and is easy-to-use. However, it has very few features and no URL blocking which doesn’t stop online threats from infecting your computer, but rather checks for threats after they’ve infected your computer. So, I suggest try using other AV for your computer.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
in my opinion, F-secure is a very good product. i really like it and it has the best url blocking in the market.
i tested it myself. the web filter is very strong.
After trying other products, I'm still back at F-secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.