Battle F-Secure Safe, Avira Pro, Trend Micro Antivirus Plus or Panda Pro?

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I would choose F-Secure between them, I agree with @Arequire 's comment, but I would add that between F and TM, I would go for F-Secure, because it will bring you better performance, although both have fantastic protection. But I recommend you to have a look to other solutions like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, or Norton.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Just FYI... F-Secure is rarely discounted, so it may be the most expensive of the lot. I trust you ruled out BitDefender, Kaspersky, and 360 intentionally.

Given the choices listed, I prefer F-Secure with the exception of occasional false positives from DeepGuard which are not always easily resolved (F-Secure's tech support was always helpful when I needed them). But it was for DeepGuard's inconvenience, and prompted by some cruelsister videos, that I recently moved to 360 Esssentials (free).

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I'd personally narrow it down to between Trend Micro and F-Secure. Avira lacks any decent zero-day protection beyond cloud analysis and from what I've seen Panda's behavioural blocking isn't exactly top-tier.

Are you opposed to looking at other vendors or would you prefer to stick to just those four?

Yes, my question is just between those four AVs

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Best of your listed AV's? Depends on your system and knowledge (if you are fine tweaking some AV settings for better performance/protection ratio, rather than just "installing and forget" with defaults). I use myself F-secure products (KEY, Freedome), but i don't recommend F-Secure Safe, in my experience its very inconsistent, but then again, its just my opinion. Trend Micro also has a "Folder Shield" againt Ransomware type of stuff. You can read more about it at Antivirus Plus Security Support - - Home and Home Office Support | Trend Micro I recommend Trend Micro overall and can't say nothing bad about them, even their customer support is very kind in my experience. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
IMO neither one of the AV's you listed are really any good. Although i really don't have any experience with Panda.

Avira Pro = waste of money. Over priced. Only really good with signatures. Zero-day is hardly there. Stay with free version and add CF.

Trend Micro has been doing poorly in the malware hub. Supposedly business side is good.

F-Secure is also expensive but if money is not an issue than disregard the comment. Pretty light on the system but very few settings and no firewall. Can have a lot of False Positives.

All are just my opinion.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
IMO neither one of the AV's you listed are really any good. Although i really don't have any experience with Panda.

Avira Pro = waste of money. Over priced. Only really good with signatures. Zero-day is hardly there. Stay with free version and add CF.

Trend Micro has been doing poorly in the malware hub. Supposedly business side is good.

F-Secure is also expensive but if money is not an issue than disregard the comment. Pretty light on the system but very few settings and no firewall. Can have a lot of False Positives.

All are just my opinion.
Avira is the lightest and here are some rewards ( Avira PRO has an extra zero day component BEHAVIORAL BLOCKER ;) )
AVIRA News - Best-in-class protection for your digital life: Avira Antivirus Pro earns AV-Comparatives’ “Product of the Year” award PRODUCT OF THE YEAR :)

Put to the test for 12 months: This is how well security packages and special tools help after an attack Best malware removal ;)

Also i can give a discount code if the TS wants ;)

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017

All are just my opinion.

But in my home tests they went well, I did with 188 samples of recent malware,
Norton and McAfee were the best in detection:

188 ( eset deixou 44 arquivos
188 (comodo deixou 133 arquivos
188 (windows defender 141
188 (trend micro deixou 37
188 ( McAfee deixou 25 arquivos
188 ( G Data deixou 29 arquivos
188 ( BullGuard deixou 49
188 ( kaspersky deixou 46
188 (adaware deixou 45
188 (zonealarm deixou 58 arquivos
188 (avira deixou 33 arquivos
188 (x-antivirus deixou 58 arquivos
188 (zemana deixou 32 arquivos
188 (ashampoo antivirus deixou 41 arquivos
188 (avg deixou 26 arquivos
188 ( trustport deixou 25 arquivos
188 (tencent manager deixou 47
188 ( f-secure deixou 44 arquivos
188 (panda deixou 37 arquivos
188 (emsisoft deixou 32 mw
188 (escan deixou 43 arquivos
188 ( avast deixou 26 arquivos
188 (norton deixou 10 arquivos
220 (malwarebytes deixou 73 mw

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Avira is the lightest and here are some rewards ( Avira PRO has an extra zero day component BEHAVIORAL BLOCKER ;) )
AVIRA News - Best-in-class protection for your digital life: Avira Antivirus Pro earns AV-Comparatives’ “Product of the Year” award PRODUCT OF THE YEAR :)

Put to the test for 12 months: This is how well security packages and special tools help after an attack Best malware removal ;)

Also i can give a discount code if the TS wants ;)
Don't rely too heavily on testing labs like AVC or AVT. Their results are only indicative of the exact samples they tested.
It's the exact reason why their use of percentages is borderline stupid.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
But in my home tests they went well, I did with 188 samples of recent malware,
Norton and McAfee were the best in detection:

188 ( eset deixou 44 arquivos
188 (comodo deixou 133 arquivos
188 (windows defender 141
188 (trend micro deixou 37
188 ( McAfee deixou 25 arquivos
188 ( G Data deixou 29 arquivos
188 ( BullGuard deixou 49
188 ( kaspersky deixou 46
188 (adaware deixou 45
188 (zonealarm deixou 58 arquivos
188 (avira deixou 33 arquivos
188 (x-antivirus deixou 58 arquivos
188 (zemana deixou 32 arquivos
188 (ashampoo antivirus deixou 41 arquivos
188 (avg deixou 26 arquivos
188 ( trustport deixou 25 arquivos
188 (tencent manager deixou 47
188 ( f-secure deixou 44 arquivos
188 (panda deixou 37 arquivos
188 (emsisoft deixou 32 mw
188 (escan deixou 43 arquivos
188 ( avast deixou 26 arquivos
188 (norton deixou 10 arquivos
220 (malwarebytes deixou 73 mw
Probaly that is malware what u dont see in your daily life... I still recommend Avira and can give u a discount code ;)
Second choice would been Avast... ( overpriced )
Third Emsisoft becus of its Behavior blocker ;)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Just my opinion for these program's.
First i prefer Trend Micro. Light on system even if it's using a bit more CPU that the others.
Signatures are good but not the best.BB is very good and it can stop a lot of unknown stuff.
As for functionality for me is install and forget and as for features it has a booster for Windows Firewall and with a few tweaks it can offer better protection.

My second choice is F-Secure. Very good signatures ( thanks to Bitdefender engine ) and a very goo BB.
F-Secure's BB has some false positives but from what i have seen they weren't so many.

Third choice would be Avira. Great sigs but needs improvement on zero-day protection.
I have also experienced some times slow browsing but i can't say for sure that it was Avira's fault.
By the way i want that Avira Launcher installer whatever to get lost, i don't like it period.

Panda Pro it'a good software but needs improvement to catch with the others.
Sigs and BB are good but still needs improvement.
I would like to see an improvement to the scan speed.
Last time i tested it to scan a malware folder which had more than 300 samples and after 15 minutes it was still in 1%:cool:.

Anyway this my opinion for these products based on personal observations on my system.

I hope i have helped;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.