Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Sweet AMD based high end rig! Do you play games or do photo productivity on your free time as well? You have to bee with that RX VEGA 64 GPU.
Yes, decided to go with AMD this time. Mostly because the high core counts help me out so much. I was actually considering going with 16-core Thread Ripper for a while but ultimately decided to go with "just" a Ryzen 8-core.

I do a bit of gaming as well. Nothing that would require a Vega though. I just got a killer deal on it and got the GPU new with a 60% discount at the time for about $250. That was just as much what a more low-end card would have cost. So why not? :)

The good thing is, that since the card is way too powerful for the games I play (mostly MMORPGs, like World of Warcraft and Black Desert Online) I get away with massively reducing noise. Even when gaming the system is pretty much silent, as the loudest bits (PSU, GPU) never even spin up their fans and the CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D15) spins way below 1000 RPM as well.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If you game then it was wise to get the ryzen instead of the threadripper. The higher speed ram will also help with that (make sure it is actually running on the advertised speed as they are not on the qlv but i am pretty sure they must be samsung so in theory they should work)
It's a very good build and it shows you looked on what to buy on every component. Gj.

Last edited:

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Good rig. But I would never use an AMD graphic card personally. I don't like their drivers and reference boards one bit.
I was initially most concerned about the heat and noise as the reference cooling was reported to be quite noisy. However, my non-reference board is quite good. When it comes to drivers: As a driver developer myself, I can tell you that the Radeon drivers are lightyears ahead of Nvidia. The number of driver issues I had with Nvidia in the past (Widevine on Netflix causing BSODs, because Nvidia #####ed up their DRM path and literally didn't fix it for 6 months for example) and that I saw when looking into their drivers because of compatibility issues with EAM was insane.

I am sure if you are more into large AAA games and want to play them on release day, you are probably better off with Nvidia. Mostly because they sink a small fortune into helping game developers "optimise" their games for their cards, while AMD owners usually have to wait for the next driver release to fix performance issues. But since I am not interested in the Battlefields and Call of Duties of the world, I don't mind.

From what I can tell, it has gotten a lot better there as well with AMD. Probably because most gaming consoles now (and probably also in the future) are based on AMD GPUs.

The higher speed ram will also help with that (make sure it is actually running on the advertised speed as they are not on the qlv but i am pretty sure they must be samsung so in theory they should work)
They are Samsung B-DIEs, yes. I checked that beforehand. I don't run them at 3466 MHz though as the system isn't 100% stable at that configuration. Instead, I am running them with a slight overvolt at 3200 MHz. If I could pick again, I would probably go for a 2-module RAM kit as running 4 modules just adds too much instability when running on high speeds.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
They are Samsung B-DIEs, yes. I checked that beforehand. I don't run them at 3466 MHz though as the system isn't 100% stable at that configuration. Instead, I am running them with a slight overvolt at 3200 MHz. If I could pick again, I would probably go for a 2-module RAM kit as running 4 modules just adds too much instability when running on high speeds.
Oh well, 3200 is fine. Amd is really picky on ram and speed honestly. They made huge improvements with version 2 of ryzen but still a long way to get up to intel stability with ram.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
This is the system I am currently using. :)
I thought you'd use Emsisoft endpoint security!
Good rig. But I would never use an AMD graphic card personally. I don't like their drivers and reference boards one bit. I've been burned by them too much to ever go back to their GPU's.. But I love their CPU and have a few Ryzen 7's myself.
Nvidia drivers are piss poor these days, I'm constantly switching out drivers one after the other after latest update introduced lot of CPU spikes and other garbage. I reverted to last year's driver that plays Resident Evil 2 perfectly unlike new driver that stutter even on medium settings.
AMD drivers are very good if not better than current nvidia drivers.
I was initially most concerned about the heat and noise as the reference cooling was reported to be quite noisy. However, my non-reference board is quite good. When it comes to drivers: As a driver developer myself, I can tell you that the Radeon drivers are lightyears ahead of Nvidia. The number of driver issues I had with Nvidia in the past (Widevine on Netflix causing BSODs, because Nvidia #####ed up their DRM path and literally didn't fix it for 6 months for example) and that I saw when looking into their drivers because of compatibility issues with EAM was insane.

I am sure if you are more into large AAA games and want to play them on release day, you are probably better off with Nvidia. Mostly because they sink a small fortune into helping game developers "optimise" their games for their cards, while AMD owners usually have to wait for the next driver release to fix performance issues. But since I am not interested in the Battlefields and Call of Duties of the world, I don't mind.

From what I can tell, it has gotten a lot better there as well with AMD. Probably because most gaming consoles now (and probably also in the future) are based on AMD GPUs.

You can try aftermarket GPU cooling solutions from arctic.
I think you can do only 3200MHz on 4 sticks and on two sticks it can reach 3400MHz easily. Maybe new AGESA update will fix the issue.
Is your monitor freesync 2 compatible?

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@Fabian Wosar please post the last bit of elevated CMD/PowerShell Windows Experience: winsat formal -v -xml c:\winstatresults.xml

For reference here are mine, you will laugh

Reactions: plat

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Very surprised at this:
'Computer protection Avast! Free'
Still it's a free world :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.