Facebook Buys 'Mind-Reading Wristband' Firm CTRL-Labs

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Facebook has acquired a start-up which is developing devices that can pick up electrical signals from the brain and transmit them to a computer.

CTRL-Labs has designed a wristband that can identify the signals the brain sends to the hand telling it to move, and decode them. It could then transmit that command - for example, to press a button - to a computer or other device. It also "captures your intention", said Facebook VR president Andrew Bosworth. "So you can share a photo with a friend using an imperceptible movement or just by, well, intending to," he said in a post on his personal Facebook page. Facebook has not confirmed a report by CNBC which claimed that the deal was worth between $500m and $1bn (£0.4bn and £0.8bn). Mr Bosworth said he hoped the CTRL-Lab team would help Facebook to "build this kind of technology, at scale and get it into consumer products faster".

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Oh goodie! FB tracking your every move on the web isn't enough to satisfy the ordinary user, at least not one like me. I need FB to develop this so I won't have to move a muscle. I can simply think about what I want to do and voila' - it's done. Oh, and FB will already know so they won't have to track me! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh, and the best thing is, then I can live my life without doing anything at all. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.