Facebook confirms it's working on a new internet satellite

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
FIBER OPTIC CABLES are the gold standard of a good internet connection, but laying them can be expensive, and in some parts of the world, a physically daunting task. So in remote corners of the globe, people often connect to the internet instead via massive geostationary satellites. These school bus-size instruments are especially far away, producing significantly slower connections. A host of companies believe the better way to connect the estimated half of Earth’s population that’s still offline is to launch “constellations” of smaller satellites into low Earth orbit, around 100 to 1,250 miles above our planet.

According to emails obtained from the Federal Communications Commission in response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed by WIRED, and confirmation from the company itself, Facebook is officially one of them.

The emails show that the social network wants to launch Athena, its very own internet satellite, in early 2019. The new device is designed to “efficiently provide broadband access to unserved and underserved areas throughout the world,” according to an application the social network appears to have filed with the FCC under the name PointView Tech LLC.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Interesting read there @root/ ! Indeed there are lots of people who do not have internet and do not have the means of getting stable internet in their area. I wonder how all of the checks and balances will remain in place to ensure that folks at Facebook do not data mine everything going through their "constellations" of small satellites... Personally, I would encourage oversight and very strong security if anything gets approved through the FCC for the "constellations". Everything about this screams potential security flaws that would need to be closed, locked down, and proven through outside well known/independent security firms that all is good.

~Brian

Reactions: slash/

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Yeah.... Same here @LDogg ! This would drive me security bonkers!!

In all seriousness I don't think this would be a great idea security wise.

~Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.