enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Facebook is building a version of the photo-sharing tool Instagram specifically for children under the age of 13, an effort to get its popular products into the hands of the next generation of internet users.

The new app was announced internally Thursday, but is not yet launched. Instagram currently requires that users must be at least 13 years old. BuzzFeed News previously reported on Instagram Kids.

Instagram, bought by Facebook almost a decade ago for $1 billion, has become one of its most popular products at a time when its main social networking property has failed to resonate with some younger users.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Not good I think, I already worry when I see young children wandering about with a tablet wide open to the web, this might make not so bright parents totally oblivious to danger? Maybe better than young children using FB/WhatsApp/Instagram anyway.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Not good I think, I already worry when I see young children wandering about with a tablet wide open to the web, this might make not so bright parents totally oblivious to danger? Maybe better than young children using FB/WhatsApp/Instagram anyway.
Allowing kids unattended use of social media is making them addicted to it at very young age. The problem is that majority of adults don’t care about privacy - their own and their kids. Many of people I know don’t see the issues with posting the pictures of their half naked kids on Instagram and Facebook and calling me freak when I tell them that this might lead to a threat in real life if one of the pedo’s will find their kid attractive enough by watching her/his pictures on social media.
The key is to lecture people about the privacy and dangers of so called “social media”, without sounding like a thin foil hat. Cal Newport is one of the people who mastered this ability and I think that we all should listen to what he is telling us.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I hope that Telegram will succeed in taking power over these networks that censor, without freedom of expression and opinion. It's a shame in 2021 to still have this kind of spying and banning network.
What kind of misconception is this? Telegram is not and never will be alternative to any social network.
People without basic knowledge about internet security and privacy will be exposed to threats on any platform. And even if Telegram is more secure or private than WhatsApp it doesn’t mean that it safe.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.