Facebook is now bypassing ad blockers on desktop

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Facebook is putting its foot down on ad blockers.

The social network announced in a blog post on Tuesday that it is now circumventing ad blockers so that desktop users will see ads regardless of whether they have the software installed.

In return, the company is giving users more control over what types of ads they are subjected to.

Facebook's updated "Ad Preferences" panel lets you opt out of ads related to a particular interest, like "travel" or "cats," or those from a specific company or organization. It also shows you a run-down of businesses that have added you to a customer list for whatever reason.

1.png

Facebook said it arrived at these new features after enlisting research firm Ipsos Connect to survey 2,000 people across six countries about ad blocking. The study unsurprisingly found that the majority of people who use ad blockers do so because they are tired of disruptive or intrusive ads and are worried about possible security risks.

Read more: Facebook is now bypassing ad blockers on desktop

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
"The Giant that continues to grow needs ever more food to sustain him"...
Facebook is worth more than $300 Billion ,yet is still as much a victim of "The System" as a struggling High Street small business that is losing passing custom due to out of town retail parks..
Facebook needs to continue to grow at the same rate as in its recent history in order to not "Implode"..

All it takes is for three disappointing quarterly reports in a row and the share-price will plummet,the (artificial) value of the company will halve,and the domino effect will eventually see Facebook become just another "Bebo"..
Both current share-holders & potential Investors alike seek what the stock-market cannot give them......"Perpetual Growth"
A "Boom & Bust" system is designed as an economic tool to create tax generating "Cash Cows"...and ,as long as once a cow has been bled dry another emerges in its wake ,then the systems wheels keep turning.

As the number of Facebook users increases,the number of potential users decreases...and eventually the bubble bursts.
Facebook has not made itself a "monopoly" as Microsoft has...and so will likely not exist in 20-25 years time.

This "bypassing ad-blockers" News may not seem too big a story to some,but to me it signifies a desperate bid to draw in more advertisers/advertising revenue in order to extend the time remaining until its guaranteed demise...
...In the next few years Facebook will hurriedly attempt to diversify into as many areas as possible..as diversification (along with continued acquisitions) is the only way to increase the longevity of its brand....until one day it itself becomes an acquisition of a company that has overtaken them.

In 25 years time the word "Facebook" will just be a punchline to a joke told by a comedian who is currently still at school.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Well just another reason for me to be happy I deleted my Facebook account 3 years ago :)
Not that long for me, creeping up on a year, but it only disables it now. I logged in and requested that they delete the account with a pretty stern message.
Will check back in the fall to see if its gone, I heard it takes a couple months to disappear, I dont care that they cache some info, I just want the acct closed
not disabled. FB makes it hard now days to do this and it benefits them not the user.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
They are currently working on making AdGuard non functional, they have not succeeded yet but some ads are getting through, manually blocking them works which may hint at FB working with Ad blockers
by making some kind of deal to get their ads white listed within the FB domain which is cool, as long as the user retains the option to manually block any unwanted ads.
Zuckerberg goes as far as to ban Ad-Blockers or browsers with them enabled and this will result in more closing of accounts. imho all FB is now is a info harvester that they finally injected ads into.

seanss

Level 1
Verified
Aug 8, 2016
Not that long for me, creeping up on a year, but it only disables it now. I logged in and requested that they delete the account with a pretty stern message.
Will check back in the fall to see if its gone, I heard it takes a couple months to disappear, I dont care that they cache some info, I just want the acct closed
not disabled. FB makes it hard now days to do this and it benefits them not the user.
Well just in case, I think they made a custom link for people who come to Facebook from Google: try this

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Well just in case, I think they made a custom link for people who come to Facebook from Google: try this
That looks like a mobile link that's associated with google if you inspect that address, I cant access it, its blocked via my security rules in Internet Options
https://m .facebook. com/login.php?next=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook. com%2Faccount%2Fdelete%3Frefsrc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.google. com%252F&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2F www.google. com%2F&_rdr#_=_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Maladvertisers hardly have more information to steal from users than the information Average Joe user willingly publish as public on his profile... /s
Its not so much what they could steal, its what they could inject into those ad's and as solidly as FB is embedding them, it could and would have a massive effect. A large number of FB users are not security savvy, maybe even security challenged. I am not making fun of them either, its sad
Agreed, most Social media users offer up way too much Info. FB is the main platform where you can learn way too much about some people lol :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.