Facebook is planning a more direct assault on YouTube, sources say

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013

Facebook
is talking about expanding its TV-like service, Watch, into a rival to Google's YouTube by opening the platform to more individual creators, according to several people familiar with the plans. This would increase the amount of long-form video content that Facebook can sell ads against, and could reverse a decline in the time users are spending on the site.

Facebook wants to allow more people to create their own shows on Watch, according to three media agencies who asked they remain anonymous because the conversations are private. Instead of buying rights to these shows, however, Facebook wants to create a system where creators can upload their shows for free, then earn a cut of the revenue from ads placed on that content — similar to how YouTube pays its online creators. Another source with knowledge of the situation said Facebook's ultimate goal is to create a sustainable ad-supported video platform, where it won't have to pay for the majority of content.
Read more: Facebook is planning a more direct assault on YouTube, sources say

D

Deleted member 65228

I bet this is going to go south and actually reduce usage even further than Facebook has already experienced.

Why is someone going to use this service when they already love YouTube? You can remove the YouTube advertisements anyway for free with an ad-blocker.

It's like they are going back in circles out of desperation now. Come up with a new idea like Instagram did and then you'll be back in "the game".

They made bank during their time and now they aren't making as much money. That is normal and that is business. He needs to sell shares and do something else and then get himself back up again. Most entrepreneurs start-up and then sell and repeat to make proper money... That's how it works.

If you stick at it for too long you can lose everything because trends and usage changes. People follow whats around them and what their friends are doing. If one person stops using Facebook messenger for Snapchat or Instagram DM, friends follow, and then more people follow, etc.

The main reason Google has not suffered from the issues Facebook has is because Google have offered so much for such a long time, like their search engine and Google Mail. And Google without a doubt do have the best search algorithms in existence to date, and the usage of their search engine promotes everything else. Google also have amazing security and they pay huge bounties to good researchers trying to help them stay more secure when a vulnerability is discovered... Oh, a fast web-browser as well... Blah blah.

It isn't so much about the advertisements and data collection that usage of Facebook is declining. It's because the trend is dead in the water. For years I have seen people stop using Facebook because it's labelled as "boring" or "not as good" compared to new start-ups like IG and Snapchat. That is just how it is.

I mean the Facebook News Feed is just stupid for me in the past at-least so I stopped using it. The DMs always felt "heavy" and "bloated" and the Android app wanted to bloat on a secondary one to reply to messages which it would tell me were received. Stupid approaches and design like this are the issue and causes other services to get leverage.

Instagram is simple, has a nice and clean design. I think it is owned by Facebook now but cannot remember? But it isn't well-known and well-used because of Facebook, it happened much more before that. And I recall Instagram made some huge changes awhile ago so if it's true they are now owned by Facebook, then those changes probably made usage decrease as well. (some news feed changes I think).

Not sure about Snapchat but it's really popular, probably more than Instagram and Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 65228

Think of it like this.

Once upon a time I was a fan of Pasta Bolognese. One day I decided it was saturated for my taste buds and ever since then I have never been a "fan" of it like I once was... all that time ago. This is actually factual in real life and that's why it's such a good example.

People used Facebook for years on a regular basis, and it's evident that Facebook social network caused people to be a bit more anti-social/connected with the "real" world. People have become saturated of the taste of Facebook and would rather some pepper to spice things up, so they go to Snapchat, Instagram, WhatsApp, or something different entirely.

That should be the best way for me to explain the point.

If Facebook want to do the world a favour... Sell the company. The people who carried it for so long will become even more filthy rich, it'll be handed down to someone else who will mess it up even more, and then it will die. Win win for us because then we don't have to put up with reading about it in the News every morning and win win for the people who stuck with it for so long with it's progress because they can go buy their own private island.

That's just my opinion though, I don't think FB does any good...

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Think of it like this.

Once upon a time I was a fan of Pasta Bolognese. One day I decided it was saturated for my taste buds and ever since then I have never been a "fan" of it like I once was... all that time ago. This is actually factual in real life and that's why it's such a good example.

People used Facebook for years on a regular basis, and it's evident that Facebook social network caused people to be a bit more anti-social/connected with the "real" world. People have become saturated of the taste of Facebook and would rather some pepper to spice things up, so they go to Snapchat, Instagram, WhatsApp, or something different entirely.

If Facebook want to do the world a favour... Sell the company. The people who carried it for so long will become even more filthy rich, it'll be handed down to someone else who will mess it up even more, and then it will die. Win win for us because then we don't have to put up with reading about it in the News every morning and win win for the people who stuck with it for so long with it's progress because they can go buy their own private island.

Great reply i love it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It cracked me up my friend, well done. :D

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Think of it like this.

I agree 100% (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.