Facebook is testing a face detection tool to verify your identity

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Facebook isn't entirely shying away from facial recognition, it seems. Code explorer Jane Manchun Wong has discovered a reference to a purported facial recognition system in Facebook's mobile app that would verify your identity. You'd have to take a "video selfie" where you look in different directions to give Facebook a more complete view of your face. It would bit like Apple's Face ID and similar systems, but there's no evidence it would require a depth sensor. Facebook vows that "no one else" will see the video and that it'll delete the clip after 30 days, although that's not quite as secure as systems like Face ID (which doesn't allow data to leave the device, and only captures "mathematical representations" of your face).

Full article

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Oh great.

Facebook can join the Chinese government and Russian government in tracking every one of us..

The three and others should join forces to make sure that they can track the maximum amount of people..

As we all need to be tracked and monitored.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

The thing is Facebook or else are businesses, they can do what they want, it is up to the people to go in or out. I would worry more if my medical records made by public hospitals were shared with some ads companies to sell me some blue pills to feel like a 20 years old guy :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.