Facebook Malware?

Gadgee

Thread author
Nov 10, 2016
Good evening from Scotland.

I hope that this is the right place to ask my question - if not then please advise as to where I should post.

My problem is that Facebook shows adverts in the right hand column and simply stated, they are 'click bait' where the result of clicking on them is that you are directed to a page which states that the computer has been blocked, personal data has been stolen and to rectify the situation I must call a telephone number.

The attached image ( 2016-11-10) shows an advert which purports to come from the Daily Mail but the URL at the foot of the screen shows that it has nothing to do with that newspaper. If the link is clicked on then I get taken to a page something like the screenshot at 2016-11-07 although other rogue adverts take me to far more 'professional' looking pages but with the same type of threats.

There are several different adverts along these lines which have appeared the past week or two and not always purporting to come from the Daily Mail and they turn up on my wife's laptop as well.

The most recent advert announced that Donald Trump had been arrested for drink driving!!

I have written to Facebook and attached the screen grabs but silence was the answer.

I have scanned the computer with several anti-malware programs but they cannot find anything.

Has anybody seen this situation before or suggest how I can prevent these adverts from being shown?

Apologies if the solution is obvious - it does not seem that way to me at present!

Attachments

• 2016-11-07 (1).png
    2016-11-07 (1).png
    124.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

Gadgee

Thread author
Nov 10, 2016
Ooops - one of the attachments seems to have vanished..

Attachments

• 2016-11-10.png
    2016-11-10.png
    857.7 KB · Views: 4

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.