Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Facebook wasn't trying to net and monetise a large user base with its Instagram buy, according to analysts, but rather was making a strategic acquisition to keep competitors at bay and ensure that it remains at the heart of social media.

Facebook paid US$1 billion to secure the photo-sharing app, making many in the industry look twice, since the app has only been around for a relatively short time, and has an employee count of less than 20, despite its 30 million users.

Link: Read more.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Facebook is becoming worse than Google.

I read that users are getting rid of Instagram, now that Facebook bought them out.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I just so this news earlier from Facebook actually Instagram is perhaps one to be commonly used from Twitter when posting photos. So what can you say Facebook was no.1 social networking sites so the shares isn't a problem.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Massive thumbs down for letting FB buy them.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Earth said:
Massive thumbs down for letting FB buy them.

Oh?

You wouldn't have sold your just-started company for a billion dollars?

That's more than they ever dreamed of making, I'm sure. Even split among 20 people it's nearly as big as winning the lottery.

I don't blame them. I would have done the same thing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't even think Instagram is worth $1B, looks more like a bribe to snatch that company and whatever evil plans they have.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Surely this transaction did a lot more waves then the Microsoft-AOL did:p

Forbes said:
Jon Stewart On Facebook's Billion Dollar Instagram Purchase: 'Really Lame'

Daily Show host Jon Stewart is unimpressed with news that Facebook paid $1 billion for the mobile app, Instagram.

After being told that Instagram is a mobile app that makes your photos look like Polaroids, Stewart remarked, “A billion dollars of money? For a thing that kind of ruins your pictures?”

Daily Show “senior youth correspondent” Jessica Williams had Facebook’s back, however, telling Stewart that the acquisition makes perfect sense, because Instagram is “awesome.”

“Before Instagram, if I wanted my pictures to look like they were taken in the ‘60s, I’d have to invent a time machine and travel back 50 years,” Williams said. “You know how much a time machine would cost to build?”

Easily a billion dollars, and the whole risk of screwing up the space-time continuum, Williams added.

The move certainly is perplexing, though perhaps not quite so much when viewed through the Pinterest lens. Facebook is worried about any potential hemorrhaging as the new, but instantly successful, social media start-up has begun to nip at its heels.

Read more:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/11/jon-stewart-on-facebooks-billion-dollar-instagram-purchase-really-lame/

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well similarly a user commented from Facebook about that discussion through group and stated: "if they can bought 1 billion dollars for instagram then why not for the homeless like in Africa?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.