upnorth

Level 27
Content Creator
Verified
A bug in Facebook’s photo API may have exposed up to 6.8 million users’ photos to app developers, the company announced on Friday.

Facebook said that normally, when a user gives permission for an app to get at their Facebook photos, the developers are only supposed to get access to photos that are posted onto their timeline. In this case, the bug allowed up to 1,500 apps – built by 876 developers – to access photos outside of the timeline. Specifically, photos from Marketplace or Facebook Stories were exposed. The most worrisome collection of exposed photos, however, were those that users hadn’t even posted. It’s not that the apps were sniffing at your photo rolls, Facebook said. Rather, the API bug was letting those apps access photos that people had uploaded to the platform but hadn’t chosen to post. They might have uploaded a photo to Facebook but hadn’t finished posting it because they lost reception, Facebook suggested. Then again, maybe a user had second thoughts about posting a particularly sensitive, personal or intimate photo, and that’s where the fear factor kicks in: they might have had second thoughts for very good reasons, but a bug like this one makes reticence completely irrelevant. Why is this even an issue, you might ask? One would imagine that photos that were never posted to Facebook were nothing more than a glimmer in the photographers’ eye, but no: Facebook says that it stores a copy of photos that are postus-interruptus for three days “so the person has it when they come back to the app to complete their post.” Note the “when”: that’s marketing-positive speak that ignores the existence of the subjunctive “if,” as if second thoughts about posting just don’t happen in social media. If only. The only apps that were affected by the bug were so-called trusted ones: the apps that Facebook has approved to access the photo API and to which people had granted permission to access their photos.

Facebook says that its internal team discovered the bug, which may have affected people who used Facebook Login and who had granted permission to third-party apps to access their photos. It’s now fixed, but the third-party apps could have had inappropriate access to photos for nearly two weeks: specifically, the 12 days between 13 September to 25 September. In its announcement, Facebook stayed quiet on the question of why we’re only hearing about this now. But when TechCrunch asked Facebook about what seems like an excessive notification lag, the platform said that its team discovered the breach on 25 September, went ahead and informed the European Union’s privacy watchdog (the IDPC, or Office Of The Data Protection Commissioner) on 22 November, and the IDPC then began a statutory inquiry into the breach. Facebook must be suffering from serious apology fatigue at this point because all it managed to cough up was :
  • We’re sorry this happened.

Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
I have an account but not my name well my first name, no photos of anywhere special & I live in the Falkland Isles & went to a dance faculty in Italy + I only access it through a VPN, so best of luck with the info they glean. The thing for me is a place I work some info is only available if you have a FB account otherwise i would have none.