Facebook Photo-Scanning Suit Is a Multibillion-Dollar Threat

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Facebook Inc. may have to pay a real price for claims it invaded users’ privacy: billions of dollars.

A federal judge ruled Monday that millions of the social network’s users can proceed as a group with claims that its photo-scanning technology violated an Illinois law by gathering and storing biometric data without their consent. Damages could be steep -- a fact that wasn’t lost on the judge, who was unsympathetic to Facebook’s arguments for limiting its legal exposure.

The case dates back to 2015, long before Facebook became mired in controversy over revelations that millions of its users’ private information fell into the hands of British consulting firm Cambridge Analytica. It’s rare for consumers to win class-action status in privacy cases. In Facebook’s history, most such cases don’t get that far.

Facebook has for years encouraged users to tag people in photographs they upload in their personal posts and the social network stores the collected information. The company has used a program it calls DeepFace to match other photos of a person. Alphabet Inc.’s cloud-based Google Photos service uses similar technology and Google faces a lawsuit in Chicago like the one against Facebook in San Francisco federal court.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
the judge, who was unsympathetic to Facebook’s arguments
5F3cUvTg_o.gif

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Well, I just wish Facebook to really suffer (or gain) the consequences of its actions. Actually, every user entitles Facebook to use his/her private information for whatever Facebook desires to use it. It is well-stated in its privacy policy, but of course users do not care to read that.

The CIA is so happy with Facebook, and so are many agencies and organizations. Anyway, I am thankful I don't have Facebook for so many years already. When I quit Facebook, there was more freedom I realised and felt in life.

Reactions: Prorootect

00alex00

Level 1
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder when will they all realize that Facebook is not the only culprit. Google, Yahoo, etc. They are all breaching data. As we discuss this.

Reactions: Prorootect

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.