Guide | How To [Facebook Privacy Tweaks] 11 details you may want to delete from your Facebook

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Here are 11 pieces of information you may want to remove or delete from your Facebook account. Remember just because it isn't Shared, doesn't mean it isn't Stored on your Account.
  1. Mobile Phone Number
  2. Birthday
    • Your date of birth is used to verify your identity on banking sites or telephone calls to your bank.
    • Do not share this information.
  3. Keep only Real Friends
    • Can you really trust all 3000 of your friends, when you're in an emotional crisis?
    • Clean out your friends list to the people you know and trust. Watch out for backstabbers, they play nice at the start, then they turn evil.
  4. Relationship status
    • Targeted Ads and Personalisation
    • You may start seeing wedding dresses or venues Ads after getting engaged.
  5. Credit card details
    • For obvious security reason.
  6. Your boss
    • Keep work and play separate.
  7. Stop tagging your location (including Check-in at venues)
    • Don't share with the world your whereabouts, or where you live.
    • You don't want a stalker or your ex knocking at your door.
  8. When and Where you're going for Holiday
    • Holidays are personal, let's keep it that way.
    • What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. ;)
  9. Children or Young family members
    • Dangers of exposing young people to social media, and taking photos without consent.
    • Your friends' friend could view the photo album.
  10. Where your Children go to School
    • Think about your child's safety, keep this information private.
    • What if a Facebook friend picked up your child from school, without you personally telling them.
    • If you are currently in education, you will want to remove your networked information
  11. Location services (Permissions)
    • Most Apps, Targeted Ads and other services can track your location through your GPS and Wi-Fi.
    • You can specify which Apps can have permissions, or disabled completely.
Source: 11 things you might want to stop doing or delete from your Facebook profile to protect your privacy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What I don't like for Facebook Privacy settings is where many people can track the people I 'followed' even though all settings are in private (Only Me).

So for me I'm embarrassed for that.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I love this post Huracan,
I removed my account some time back, after updating all the information to bogus :)
FB saves your info, and will "not" delete it once your account is closed.
Juat another "FYI"
PeAcE

Can you really trust all 3000 of your friends, when you're in an emotional crisis?
Right lol

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Dodger: Typically you are right, in social media you should aware the things you wanted to put.

Actually one of the local journalist in our country suffered a take down account by mistake because of not clearly investigating the report content by Facebook Team.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.