Facebook, WhatsApp Will Have to Share Messages With U.K.

codswollip

Level 23
Thread author
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Social media platforms based in the U.S. including Facebook and WhatsApp will be forced to share users’ encrypted messages with British police under a new treaty between the two countries ... The accord ... will compel social media firms to share information to support investigations into individuals suspected of serious criminal offenses ...

Read on...

Sorry folks, but unbreakable encryption is going to be made illegal whether you people like it or not. The only things that remain to be seen are what forms that will take and the amount of time to become a global phenomena ? I am betting that universal registration with internet access tied to biomarkers is gonna be a thing. Those biomarkers will be recorded and retained by governments.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

UK is one giant police state, so this was inevitable.

However, even if they make unbreakable encryption illegal there will be ways around it. It's an arms race that governments and industry will always lose.

There are already contingencies in place in the event that authoritarian forces fully subjugate the internet. For example, Internet 2.0 already has 20 BILLION in funding from privacy and individual sources secured, and Internet 2.0 will be public regulated, have no ads, and encryption will be endorsed.

Then you have private, secured mesh networks popping up all over. For example I can easily (where I live) hop onto any number of secured, fast Gotenna or comparable networks, completely bypassing any monitoring or authoritarian activity. These will only become more prevalent as time goes on. I'd quite readily put a mesh hub nano on my roof, no problem!

Add to that rogue programmers like Michael Wood making their own encryption tools.

People forget, in the USA the constitution is absolute. While organizations like the CIA regularly violate it, they are coming under deepening scrutiny when it is revealed. But the golden rule in the USA is, you can largely do anything you want as long as you don't threaten anyone (including yourself). So good luck making something that protects our first and fourth amendment illegal in the USA.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.