LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Facebook-photo-tagging.jpg

Facebook has started rolling out an update to its photo tagging system that will now scan newly uploaded photos and alert all the users it recognizes in that image by default.

"These new features help you find photos that you’re not tagged in and help you detect when others might be attempting to use your image as their profile picture," said Joaquin Quiñonero Candela, Director, Applied Machine Learning at Facebook.

Feature may actually prove helpful
The Facebook photo tagging system works by scanning each image users upload on the site, looking for human faces. The system detects faces and computes a string of numbers (called template)
for each face.

It then compares this template to the face templates of other Facebook users and uses the results as friend suggestions for the photo tagger system. If a user wishes to tag a friend in the photo, that friend will receive a notification.

The new system that Facebook has started rolling out will send notifications to all users found in newly uploaded photos, not just those that have been actively tagged.

Facebook hopes this new tool will help curb abuse, bots, and account impersonators.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It's a bad idea because it means they're admitting to creating a facial recognition database.

The easiest way I have found to confuse automated facial recognition scanners is to use pixelation and palette stroking on your face photos before using them on facebook. It causes them to freak out and designate your photos as random things. For example my facebook profile photo when sent to various recognition databases says I am a 'Doily on a table next to a paid of glasses'.. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.