Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
-
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
-
I bought my Asus G74Sx laptop in 2012 from ebay, refurbished. I don't believe it came with any windows installation discs. I would like to restore windows to factory settings but am not sure how. I tried the F9 route and that doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to do this on this machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Zimboombafoo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2014
thanks for your response. it appears the first link is for windows 8, I should have clarified that I have windows 7. I don't see any other info there about recovering windows 7 :(

as for the second link, in order to use the F9 recovery (if it worked) wouldn't have I have to have some sort of disc?

Upvote 0

Zimboombafoo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2014
OK I found this on that link, and I do have that 25GB hidden partition. However, I'm not sure how to use this "F9 method"..don't I still need a disc of some kind?

"You can look in Disk Management to see if you still have a recovery partition. (START -> diskmgmt.msc) It will appear as a 25Gb hidden partition (i.e., no drive letter) before the C: partition on your primary hard drive.

If you have the recovery partition, you can use the F9 method to restore your computer to its out-of-the-box condition."

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Asus ROG advises you to make a set of backup discs during the initial setup of the laptop.I am not sure if you can do a factory reset without them.I have an ASUS ROG with 2 500GB hard drives.I just wiped the drives and installed a clean Windows 7 Ultimate.Mine came with home edition.If you don't have the driver installation CD you will have to download it to get the backlighted keyboard and some other options

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.