Solved failed to copy boot system file to C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughead

Thread author
Verified
Feb 22, 2013
I did not want to make a new set up, to delete system boot file..so I tried to copy.
first I turn of all security etc..
In cmd..diskpart I set the 100 MB system partition to inactive..made C: active instead.
after exit diskpart, I typed bcdboot c:\windows/sc:
and got a copy failure.

Maybe its because I use a converted dynamic disk.
But maybe its just another mistake needs to be corrected 1st!

there for I give you some screenshots:

here is my Partition wizard pic:
ix9rB5hdHRS6V.jpg

my list disk with list partition:
ib1fiLi8nX1K7S.jpg

the first partition is unknown to me and hidden .Maybe left from reboot restore (which places itself in cluster-its an Os on itself-I was told, or from my backup restore-which I doubt)
the 4th partition are D,E,B together, marked as hidden(not in partition wizard though), you can see that in the next screenshot.

ioLQCweTJhy1d.jpg

Partition 4 covers 3 volumes marked as hidden - I found it strange ?
another lookup:
ibk197uMaVTn5E.jpg

here the C: volume is only boot and not boot&system like in Partition wizard and volume 0 is the system and because it's inactive I boot up via DVD PLOP, cause C: wouldn't boot and system is inactive as said already.

What can I do to bring the 2nd and the 3rd Partition together.
Or how to copy ...and than delete volumes whatever...

I can not believe that there is no way to fix this ..please help me out:idea:

It's not for space but many tools want go with dynamic disk..and I converted it to have a backup partition for Macrium...but Macrium does also not support dynamic disk, reboot restore and rollback do not cover dynamic disk as well etc.etc.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you have a copy of all your Data in case of any loss?

I was thinking you could wipe Volume 2 & 3 (D:\ and E:\), and checking if either can be merged (or shrink then expand)?

I'm not an expert in disk management, so I might be wrong. :s

Upvote 0

Bughead

Thread author
Verified
Feb 22, 2013
Earth said:
Do you have a copy of all your Data in case of any loss?

I was thinking you could wipe Volume 2 & 3 (D:\ and E:\), and checking if either can be merged (or shrink then expand)?

I'm not an expert in disk management, so I might be wrong. :s

I moved my Library to E: and merged the library with my user.
Everything goes through 1 document folder , 1 music folder etc nothing double.
On D: I merged the download folder.

To back it all up I need a lot of dvds.
I do have another harddrive 250 GB smaller than this 1 .
I use 500 now!
To get the data on the smaller disk is again trouble and my motherboard does not support the raid for another hard drive.
When I bought this shuttle barebone, I had no knowledge 2004
and I paid a lot of money for this very limited system of mine ..

But I just found out ..that the cluster size off my system reserved partition may only be 4k and not 8k, like it was the case.
I just changed that..
If now I can make C: primary..it would work to copy..!
But I guess dynamic disk only have simple partitons

I search now for an option, to give a command line for this dynamic partiton which will change it primary ..you never know ..fuuh

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.