Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Share This post with your friends and contacts. Help THEM to stay safe:

An email with the subject of Commercial Invoice pretending to come from export@dhl-invoice.com with a malicious Excel XLS spreadsheet attachment delivers some sort of malware. I don’t know what this is at the moment and online sandboxes or VirusTotal aren’t really helping either. No doubt one of my contacts will soon tell me

They are using email addresses and subjects that will scare or entice a user to read the email and open the attachment. A very high proportion are being targeted at small and medium size businesses, with the hope of getting a better response than they do from consumers.

Remember many email clients, especially on a mobile phone or tablet, only show the Name in the From: and not the bit in <domain.com >. That is why these scams and phishes work so well.

I am being told that other subjects in this malspam run spoofing DHL include DHL Commercial Invoice and DHL poforma invoice. The appear to be several different spoofed senders @dhl-invoice.com

DHL has not been hacked or had their email or other servers compromised. They are not sending the emails to you. They are just innocent victims in exactly the same way as every recipient of these emails. In fact even the imitation DHL email address is not sending the malware to you. The scammers who registered that domain 2 years ago are being scammed themselves...

Full Article: Fake DHL Commercial Invoice malspam delivers malware

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Hmm...I don't know about you guys, but now the word "invoice" means malware for me! :eek:
lol yup me too
especially if i receive an email for a DHL "commercial" invoice randomly, when I haven't used DHL as courier service ever :p;)
but thats probably why they are targeting random small/medium size business in a country where they actually might have used DHL at some point :eek:
(usually can find email contacts online easy from company website etc)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.