Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Windows XP no longer receives support and security patches, so cybercriminals worldwide have started a very aggressive campaign that tries to exploit computers still running the ancient platform.
As I told you during the weekend, Windows XP users are now assaulted with all kinds of fake software updates and applications, but it turns out that some malicious drivers are also involved in the scheme.

Christopher Boyd of Malwarebytes warns that a fake application called YourFileDownloader promises to help Windows XP users download and install the latest drivers for their computers, but after deployment, you need to pay to register and unlock the program.

“Take care with the last minute surge of XP themed downloads and offers – whether on social networks, forums or video sharing sites a lot of what you’re going to see over the coming weeks will probably not do you any favours to install or sign up to,” he writes.

Indeed, Windows XP users are the preferred target for cybercriminals worldwide these days and since so many people are still running the unsupported operating system, up-to-date third-party software that can block such threats and protect their computers is a must-have.

Plenty of security vendors have already confirmed that their apps would still work on XP, so find an anti-virus app and deploy the latest virus definitions as soon as possible if you’re still running this OS version.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'As I told you during the weekend, Windows XP users are now assaulted with all kinds of fake software updates and applications, but it turns out that some malicious drivers are also involved in the scheme.'

Sure , so beware; look at my posting:
'Ex. viooz.co/movies/1748-doctor-zhivago-1965.html - after seconds you have the new page, which propose FAKE update your Windows drivers ..'
- here:
FAKE Java update redirects pop-ups : Post #36 : FAKE Java update redirects pop-ups

sunil22

Level 1
Verified
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks a lot mate for issuing the warnings:rolleyes: to Win XP user as the common user are the sitting ducks who have no much knowledge and they fell in the traps :D. Hope they come out from the XP ASAP to Win 7 or the Win 8 or Win 8.1 if not then to other platform like Mac or Linux :cool: so to stay safe then never. Thanks once again for so informative post for the users who are still hanging with XP ;)

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well IMHO if Microsoft announces that they will be dropping update and support to Windows XP and doing this in news papers, magazines and online media, and you are foolish enough to install a package that claims to update your drivers and OS.
Then i am very sorry...but then the person in question already is terminal sick and just infected his XP box with the same madness sickness.
Omg how dumb can people get other then not updating their OS, Drivers and not installing security software and if they do, they forget to run it in the first place.
That said if you are such XP user please drop me a pm, as i got a nice list with URL's that will update your drivers in ways you have seen before.
I guarantee your XP box will never need to update again, and you will never have to fear that your XP box gets infected or hacked....
Just make sure you keep a fire-extinguisher close to that XP box as the cpu MIGHT act a bit funny lmao. (Evil grins)

<<<<< Extremely harmless puppy eyes looking at you and a strange voice said: Look into my eyes and believe me.

Dang you did not fall for it right? Good for you now update your damn box to windows 7 or 8.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is it existing malware that they're spreading, or something new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.