Fake Google Chrome nightmare!

David V.

Thread author
May 25, 2017
Hello,

Early this year I started having problems with my browses. I got home page changes in both Firefox and Chrome. I tried using my Avast scan, always finding adware and such, but never actually solving the problem. After a few months, last week I tried running Netflix on my Chrome browser and I found out I had a fake Chrome version installed. I uninstalled it, erased all Chrome data left over in my machine and the program was gone. Only problem is the new Chrome installer didn't seem to work, both offline ad online versions. So I've been trying to fix this without luck. Today to my surprise, the fake Chrome is back on my desktop, only this time it doesn't appear in my Programs list or anywhere. When I looked at the root file it's a file called Setleaf. Please I need help getting rid of this fake program. It's already messing with my Firefox again and new adware is showing up everyday in my Programs list!

Hope you can give me a hand. Thx!

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    69.9 KB · Views: 2
  • FRST.txt
    66.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware.png
Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Start Scan.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the Reports tab.
  • Double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.
Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

David V.

Thread author
May 25, 2017
Hi TwinHeadedEagle,

Sorry for the late reply. I finally got around to making time to do this. My laptop was a adware nightmare, almost 8,000 files infected. I ran MB and it cleaned all of it. I'm attaching the log you said.

I already managed to reinstall Chrome and I had to reinstall Firefox as well since it was badly damaged by adware.

Thanks for your help buddy! Have a great week!

Attachments

• MBscanlog.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Very good, let's continue:

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

2873ryc.png

• Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach report into your next reply.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.