Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Content source
https://malwaretips.com/
In an attempt to increase their revenues near Christmas, cyber criminals have starting to use the Yahoo brand and actually ask the users to click on ads to "stop advertisements" .

Here is the latest bogus "Yahoo Notification Alerts" pretting that your Yahoo account will be closed if you do update your preferences... by clicking on an ad. To make this bogus notification more believable, it is signed by "Laura Thompson" from the Yahoo Privacy team, and has a eTrust logo.
The ad is just a simple advertising banner from Google AdSense, which if clicked on, will generate revenue for the cyber criminals who putted up this web page.
goldinvestingonline.xyz.jpg

12.jpg

Fake Yahoo Notification said:
We are sorry for interrupting your browsing session. Several months ago you were given notice that your privacy settings needed to be updated regarding ads being displayed to you. Please update your preferences now for displaying ads for your Yahoo! account. Failure to do so will result in immediate account termination.

Simply click on the ad below and select either "I want to opt-out from seeing ads" or "It's ok to continue showing me ads".

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Looked believable to me, until I checked the URL bar and it was all blackened out above.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@user102 : For such assumption, adblock will not show the overall elements on a website if its build from known advertisement.

But does clever writers conduct javascript analysis where to determine if the Adblock is install where it insist to disable it.

Reactions: Rishi and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.