Fall Creator's Update Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Well I figured that the "Activation errors" issue would crop up when a new update like this come out - my guess that many people would be doing the upgrade at once.

Blue Screen of Death errors on install: How many of those checked to see if they need to remove some software before the upgrade? Or rather do clean install.

Thread author
Well I figured that the "Activation errors" issue would crop up when a new update like this come out - my guess that many people would be doing the upgrade at once.

Blue Screen of Death errors on install: How many of those checked to see if they need to remove some software before the upgrade? Or rather do clean install.

Typical users do not know anything about Windows activation or clean installs. Typical users will consider any such upgrade related problems totally unacceptable.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows Store error still there (on clean install) and Windows Defender's bug, when trying to check quarantined items.

Attachments

• capture_10212017_124926.jpg
    capture_10212017_124926.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 491
  • capture_10212017_125417.jpg
    capture_10212017_125417.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 435

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I had problems with Kaspersky and Adguard hanging and causing general system slowdowns after the update. I had to force uninstall both as the normal uninstaller said I didn't have the required permission on an admin account... Now everything is fine but next time I'll remember to uninstall both before upgrading :)

P

plat1098

Thread author
Had standalone security software; just exited/disabled those. An indirect effect of the Fall CU: I applied a setting to what turned out to be a deprecated feature in the latest OS via group policy and this feature--Block Untrusted Fonts--wasn't in Microsoft's list of removed/deprecated items. Startup was affected with event id 1085 so had to reset group policy and start over. That's it, really minor considering one machine had a messy time of it. Event viewers are clean so far, everything works. If problems develop, I'll resort to a clean install--Windows update gets one chance to get it right the first time. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If you don't have backups and jump the gun on an upgrade you might have a bad time. I would assume most people here know that but the general user has no idea that his pc is even going to update. MS is just dropping the ball and not testing their product enough.

Thread author
If you don't have backups and jump the gun on an upgrade you might have a bad time. I would assume most people here know that but the general user has no idea that his pc is even going to update. MS is just dropping the ball and not testing their product enough.

People want reliability and stability way more than new features and security updates.

The average PC user could care less about Microsoft's bullshit reasons for forced updates, lack of testing, etc.

Thread author
The only issue i have with them is their freaking slow updates, like 1.5 hour for a 4 gb update are you kidding me?

Windows 10 updates are no better than Windows 7 updates. The only reason Windows 10 updates seem better than Windows 7, is that the volume of Windows 10 updates is much smaller. However, problem-wise, both W10 and 7 updates are equally problematic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Windows 10 is the OS revolution. People do not like any revolution, because it always causes many victims. This is especially dangerous when you are not loyal to the revolutionists and sympathize with the enemy (Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Comodo, etc.).:devil:

Thread author
The number one request from an average Joe user is that they do not want any problems and unexpected stuff from the OS nor any installed programs. In that regard, the entirety of IT is a miserable failure.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The number one request from an average Joe user is that they do not want any problems and unexpected stuff from the OS nor any installed programs. In that regard, the entirety of IT is a miserable failure.
The administrators in Enterprises dislikes such problems too. They found out the solution - do not update if you do not have to. Use Windows policies, network IDS, SRP (AppLocker) or AppGuard to lock the system.
An average Joe with Windows 10 home is defenseless. He can try to stick with Defender + Edge + Universal Applications - that tactics can save many potential 'update/upgrade victims', but not all. Another way is finding someone who can recover from the 'update/upgrade disaster'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.