Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticBlueDragon

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 26, 2014
Hello

Anybody experiencing false detection in ESET Smart Secuirty 7 and 8 with the latest update?

Here is a screenshot that every software installer in my External HDD ONLY, with extension of ".exe" has been detected as win32/Sality.NBA virus even though they are not virus.

eset_f10.png

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I guess that's your flash drive? Think your flash drive as a whole got infected...

Edit: Oh it's your hard drive.....So you plugged it into a system that was infected, and that's how it got all .exe files as malware.

Last edited:
Reactions: MysticBlueDragon

MysticBlueDragon

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 26, 2014
So all my .exe files now are malware even though they have the same name and same icon of the software and its still working even install them???

going to try VT .. brb

Thanx all for the comment.. be back with the result in VT

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems it could be not FP if that external HDD was been infected by inserting to the main source that contains autorun and sality.

M

Manzai

Sality is the classification for a family of malicious software (malware), which infects files on Microsoft Windows systems. Sality was first discovered in 2003 and has advanced over the years to become a dynamic, enduring and full-featured form of malicious code. Systems infected with Sality may communicate over a peer-to-peer (P2P) network for the purpose of relaying spam, proxying of communications, exfiltrating sensitive data, compromising web servers and/or coordinating distributed computing tasks for the purpose of processing intensive tasks (e.g. password cracking). Since 2010, certain variants of Sality have also incorporated the use of rootkit functions as part of an ongoing evolution of the malware family. Because of its continued development and capabilities, Sality is considered to be one of the most complex and formidable forms of malware to date.

Link

It's a virus

MysticBlueDragon

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 26, 2014
I think i have mistaken... it says CLEANED. it means ESET already clean the .exe file and restore the file. is that correct?
ohh I remember inserting my HDD in my friends Laptop.

Sorry for posting here i think everything is clear now. :3 Omg sorry.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I think you should scan your friend's laptop. If all these detection came up after plugging the HDD into your friend's laptop, it would mean that he has an active Sality infection.

M

MalwareT

According to Symantec's information:

W32.Sality is an entry-point obscuring (EPO) polymorphic file infector. It will infect executable files on local, removable and remote shared drives. The virus also creates a peer-to-peer (P2P) botnet and receives URLs of additional files to download. It then attempts to disable security software.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think i have mistaken... it says CLEANED. it means ESET already clean the .exe file and restore the file. is that correct?
ohh I remember inserting my HDD in my friends Laptop.

Sorry for posting here i think everything is clear now. :3 Omg sorry.

http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm

If you choose "clean" from those detected files then it attempts to remove the virus from a legitimate file code therefore may restore the original but if failed that's the time to use quarantine for safe location, however the main file still considered as infected.

Since sality is a virus then clean option may work.

MysticBlueDragon

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 26, 2014
Sorry for the late reply.. i think i already got the idea and my question in my first post is wrong..

All affected file in my externel is clean when i check it on Virustotal.

In my observation.. i think that eset already cleaned the files with its real time auto detection.
As you can see in the first post in the picture its cleaned-quarantined the Sality not the .exe files.

Sorry all for this wrong questions and thats for all the replys. :3
Cheers.

Reactions: MalwareT
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.