Q&A False positive with Bitdefender

Guilhermesene

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 1, 2019
🙋🏻‍♂️Hello my friends from MalwareTips forum!

I am working/studying some code that I am developing for the university where I study and I decided to put them online so that a friend can work together with me on the project.

I decided to download it from GitHub Desktop when I ran into my BTS saying that the GitHub Desktop installer page was blocked (because it's a dangerous page).

Captura de tela 2021-11-18 095613.png
Captura de tela 2021-11-18 095649.png

Could someone please test with another antivirus engine? I tested it with virustotal and it shows that the page is clean (it doesn't make sense, since GitHub is very "famous", so to speak, and would not be infected).

I have already reported the false positive (which I believe is to Bitdefender), but I confess that I was a little disappointed 😞 with the product because the site with this situation is from a worldwide well known company.

I am thinking about how I am going to work now, because according to the email I received from Bitdefender (automatic email) it will take up to 72 hours to analyze whether it is really a false positive or not.

Source: GitHub Desktop
Download link: GitHub Desktop Application

Thank you all.

Reactions: Nevi and JB007

JB007

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
🙋🏻‍♂️Hello my friends from MalwareTips forum!

I am working/studying some code that I am developing for the university where I study and I decided to put them online so that a friend can work together with me on the project.

I decided to download it from GitHub Desktop when I ran into my BTS saying that the GitHub Desktop installer page was blocked (because it's a dangerous page).

View attachment 262056View attachment 262057

Could someone please test with another antivirus engine? I tested it with virustotal and it shows that the page is clean (it doesn't make sense, since GitHub is very "famous", so to speak, and would not be infected).

I have already reported the false positive (which I believe is to Bitdefender), but I confess that I was a little disappointed 😞 with the product because the site with this situation is from a worldwide well known company.

I am thinking about how I am going to work now, because according to the email I received from Bitdefender (automatic email) it will take up to 72 hours to analyze whether it is really a false positive or not.

Source: GitHub Desktop
Download link: GitHub Desktop Application

Thank you all.
Hello @Guilhermesene
Try to contact directly the support with the integrated tool.
It worked fast and fine for me in France.
Capture.PNG

Guilhermesene

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 1, 2019
Hello @Guilhermesene
Try to contact directly the support with the integrated tool.
It worked fast and fine for me in France.
View attachment 262059

Hello @JB007

So I reported the GitHub Desktop site and the executable file to the Bitdefender site via this here.

But anyway, I had a look here in my BTS about what you said.

I hope the Bitdefender team will solve this problem as soon as possible.

Thank you for your comment.

JB007

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

Guilhermesene

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 1, 2019
I never got an answer (only the automatic one) with this site https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29358/
but the direct support is very fast.
I did what you said @JB007.

I contacted the direct support and they answered me instantly.

However, unfortunately they sent me the link where I quoted and you also quoted, then basically did not solve the problem, I was only indicated to send the false positive by the site that I had already done 🤦🏻‍♂️.

JB007

Level 25
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I did what you said @JB007.

I contacted the direct support and they answered me instantly.

However, unfortunately they sent me the link where I quoted and you also quoted, then basically did not solve the problem, I was only indicated to send the false positive by the site that I had already done 🤦🏻‍♂️.
Hello @Guilhermesene
You are right !
I am unpleasantly surprised because in the previous version there was the possibility to contact directly the support opening the integrated tool and after reproducing the problem the tool collected the logs.
Unfortunately this very useful feature seems to have disappeared.
1Capture.PNG
2Capture.PNG