Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

1571932073001.png

A fast-moving wildfire aided by powerful winds in Northern California’s wine country has prompted mandatory evacuation orders in Geyserville, an area of Sonoma County 75 miles north of San Francisco.
The Kincade Fire had spread to 10,000 acres — just over 15 square miles — by early Thursday, with no containment, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The wind-driven brush fire started just before 9:30 p.m. in Geyserville, with the cause still under investigation, according to local officials.

This is bad.

There is a well-known and respected MT member who lives there.

For privacy reasons -- I won't identify him.

He can self-identify if he chooses..

But I hope he and his family are ok.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1571940386883.png

Pushed by wind gusts topping 70 mph, a monster brush fire spread rapidly overnight in a rural section of Sonoma County, threatening communities and forcing mass evacuations.

Fire officials ordered all of Geyserville, a community with a population of about 929, to evacuate after the fire crossed Highway 128 and continued moving west toward homes in the area.

There are indications that our highly esteemed MT colleague is ok.

Although this fire is still spreading.

1571940558876.png

Present fire concerns aside..

This is in Sonoma County. It's a beautiful area. I'm jealous of our esteemed colleague's beautiful location.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Pacific Gas & Electric, the state’s largest utility, told state regulators that a jumper on one of its transmission towers broke close to where officials say the Kincade Fire started, near Geyserville.

PG&E chief executive Bill Johnson said the company is conducting an internal investigation but has not accepted responsibility for the fire..

“I must confess, it is infuriating beyond words,” Newsom said, accusing the utilities of neglecting their infrastructure and leaving the state vulnerable to fires sparked by outmoded power lines.

The company said the next round of outages could begin Saturday and would be “on the magnitude” of those earlier this month, the most extensive planned power shutdown ever.

So.... let me get this straight.

PG&E violated the public trust by not maintaining infrastructure that is safe and effective. And there is no excuse for this as they had the money to do so..

And they raised electric rates seemingly at will.... and wasted millions of dollars.. that they could have used to maintain a safe and modern system..

And they probably started this fire, but are attempting to deny it..

And they will start turning everybody's lights out again and regularly based on their incompetence.

We need to put those PG&E executives in national government positions to run things. It would be an improvement.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
These lowdown, nasty and venal utilities. Over here, Natinoal Grid refused to process new gas accounts in order to blackmail officials into permitting an environmentally unsound pipline to deliver gas from PA to NYC`. If your new multi-million dollar renovated brownstone or business like a restaurant was in need of gas from May to about a week ago, well, tough luck.

The "power" these monopolistic firms wield is scary. I feel like a paradox: If God is all-powerful, could He create a stone so heavy that he cannot lift it?

Someone needs to break these monstrosities up into smaller, more manageable pieces. Make them PAY.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.