Favourite Security Configuration ( Past or Present)

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@ichito you forgot the best restriction sandbox ever: DefenseWall
Good sugestion and great app :)...but it was intentional...the same as other "sandbox" apps that were rather out off my interest of security apps. I think it was due to my "love" to LV (SD? :love:) that offered to me much more especialy when connected with HIPS/BB. It seems to me that the most liked...among such apps...was GeSWall and themost irritating was SysWatch (Saf'n"Sec) that I've tried many time to know better or even like it :confused:

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

McAfee Total Protection 10 years ago(it was enough at the time(Windows 7)perhaps).

Bitdefender Total Security+Voodoo-Shield+Malwarebytes.

Avast Premium Security(Avast Premium at that time)+Voodoo-Shield+Syshardener+HitmanPro+Adguard system wide.

Bitdefender Total Security+Syshardener+OSAmor+HitmanPro+Adguard system wide(present).

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Good sugestion and great app :)...but it was intentional...the same as other "sandbox" apps that were rather out off my interest of security apps. I think it was due to my "love" to LV (SD? :love:) that offered to me much more especialy when connected with HIPS/BB. It seems to me that the most liked...among such apps...was GeSWall and themost irritating was SysWatch (Saf'n"Sec) that I've tried many time to know better or even like it :confused:
yes Geswall was great, its "kinda" successor is ReHIPS

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
ThreatFire...it looks that is "the hero" not only for me :) Yea...it's (it still can installed and do its work) for me an example of very configurable app that can offer quite different ways of protection...or all of them in the same time. By this cause it's for me similar to SpyShelter.
The next from the past:
- silent hero of my XP machines...just like "time traveler" walking thru decades - Kerio 2.1.5 Free (ver. from 2004) still working an my HP laptop
- classic firewall - Look'n'Stop and Filseclab personal FW - used always with some BB/HIPS/monitor so...
- BB/HIPS - already mentioned TF and System Safety Monitor
- firewall with proactive module - for me "best of the best" - Online Armor
- LV apps - Returnil/Quietzone which closing of development is for me the most cryptic case among similar

Today my favourite setup is composed on three apps that actualy are also "trevelers from the past":
Shadow Defender (LV app)
Keriver Restore 1-click Free (system backup/restore)
SpyShelter FW (multi-featured FW/HIPS/anti-logger)

WOW. In one post you mentioned most of my favorite software. Good old times... :cry:
Also, I add ...

EQSecure & ProSecurity

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
WOW. In one post you mentioned most of my favorite software. Good old times... :cry:
Also, I add ...

EQSecure & ProSecurity
Probably I don't know ProSecurity as an app but I've tested in the past its succesor - Real-time Defender and as I remember its "easier" version - RTD Smart. Great memories :) I forgot one app that was importatnt for me - Spyware Terminator in old version that offered HIPS module in all versions (free/paid).

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
Probably I don't know ProSecurity as an app but I've tested in the past its succesor - Real-time Defender and as I remember its "easier" version - RTD Smart. Great memories :) I forgot one app that was importatnt for me - Spyware Terminator in old version that offered HIPS module in all versions (free/paid).

Superb software, but above all exceptional developers. I still remember, for example, the late evening chats with Vitali from SSM or Ilya from DefenseWall, or even other devs. They were not afraid to help you configure their sw, and often they revealed some goodies that few others knew.
Ps: have you ever tried the excellent OSSS (Online Solutions Security Suite)

Reactions: DDE_Server

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I miss PrivateFirewall the most, then OutpostFirewall till they destroyed it with antispyware, just like with Comodo. P.S. Thanks to WildersForum:
NOD32 + Outpost Firewall PRO
Realtime:
Outpost Firewall Pro

On-demand:
Ad-Aware SE Personal
A-Squared Free
BitDefender 8 Free Edition
MicroWorld AV
Rootkit Revealer
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Other:
AutoPatcher XP
Belarc Advisor
Blowfish Advanced CS
CCleaner
IE 7.0 Beta 2
IE-SpyAD
Killbox
MSJVM Removal Tool
No Windows Scripting Host
SafeXP
What's Running
Windows Worms Door Cleaner
Added: nLite (no windows updates)
Realtime: Comodo Personal Firewall
On-Demand: GMER | HijackThis | MWAV
Other Security Aplications: AxCrypt | Belarc | CCleaner | nLite | WWDC | WSH Disabler
Removed: AutoPatcher XP (I do not need Windows updates anymore) | MSJVM Removal Tool
Realtime: None (Passive: DEP, NoAutoRun, SEHOP, UAC with password).
OnDemand: Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Hitman Pro (+ random others occasionally).
Other: Autoruns, Chrome (flashblock), HijackThis, KC SUMo, OpenDNS, TCP View.
Realtime/Ondemand: Nothing.
Passive Protection: UAC at max, YandexDNS, Yandex Browser with Flashblock, Ghostery and Vanilla Cookie Manager.
CCleaner run at shutdown to clean browser's cache. All protocols but IPv4 removed from adapters. Pagefile disabled.

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
I miss PrivateFirewall the most, then OutpostFirewall till they destroyed it with antispyware, just like with Comodo. P.S. Thanks to WildersForum:
NOD32 + Outpost Firewall PRO
Realtime:
Outpost Firewall Pro

On-demand:
Ad-Aware SE Personal
A-Squared Free
BitDefender 8 Free Edition
MicroWorld AV
Rootkit Revealer
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Other:
AutoPatcher XP
Belarc Advisor
Blowfish Advanced CS
CCleaner
IE 7.0 Beta 2
IE-SpyAD
Killbox
MSJVM Removal Tool
No Windows Scripting Host
SafeXP
What's Running
Windows Worms Door Cleaner
Added: nLite (no windows updates)
Realtime: Comodo Personal Firewall
On-Demand: GMER | HijackThis | MWAV
Other Security Aplications: AxCrypt | Belarc | CCleaner | nLite | WWDC | WSH Disabler
Removed: AutoPatcher XP (I do not need Windows updates anymore) | MSJVM Removal Tool
Realtime: None (Passive: DEP, NoAutoRun, SEHOP, UAC with password).
OnDemand: Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Hitman Pro (+ random others occasionally).
Other: Autoruns, Chrome (flashblock), HijackThis, KC SUMo, OpenDNS, TCP View.
Realtime/Ondemand: Nothing.
Passive Protection: UAC at max, YandexDNS, Yandex Browser with Flashblock, Ghostery and Vanilla Cookie Manager.
CCleaner run at shutdown to clean browser's cache. All protocols but IPv4 removed from adapters. Pagefile disabled.

Lots of security softs destroyed by excessive features. Just look at Voodooshield.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Ps: have you ever tried the excellent OSSS (Online Solutions Security Suite)
Unfortunately no...I've tried to install it many times in the past (on XP and Vista) but allways gave an error alert due to some low level drivers or services incompaltibilty. Finally I've stoped...similar situation there was with NeoavaGuard and I realy regret because NG was great app (as I read).

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
For a few peaceful months: HitmanPro.Alert + Windows firewall + uBlock Origin.

Defender was disabled; however there were a lot of related errors in Event Viewer and eventually, I became a wimp and re-enabled it. This was around the first Windows 10 builds--1507 & 1511, I think.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

You didn't know??!! For a considerable time @Umbra did little else apart from remind people how great Emsisoft products were. Strangely though the Emsisoft love reduced somewhat when he no longer worked for them :D
My love was reduced even before I was hired, in fact since they abandoned Online Armor, but as a company and with EAM being solid, Emsisoft is still a more than good vendor worth praising. For example, you won't have privacy intrusion like Avast or Kaspersky...

When I was hired I didn't even had EAM installed on my systems since a while, my defenses were Appguard and ERP.

Then with my better understanding of the AV industry and improved technical knowledge of security acquired from my position, plus real insider insight and discussion with people actually working and developing security products (unlike most whose "knowledge" are all about parroting blogs article...).
I found out then relying on an AV as main layer was not necessary anymore in my strategy.

And of course when you quit a company, you always lose some love.

But I still recommend Emsisoft, they may not be the best in detection, they may be expensive for some, but they will protect you more than efficiently without intruding your privacy and you will have a great support team who actually take time to solve your issues.
I was close to the support team due to my position so I can guarantee they aren't half skilled people following a scripted procedure in a Indian support center... Not saying they even helped non-Emsi users/customers.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
My love was reduced even before I was hired, in fact since they abandoned Online Armor, but as a company and with EAM being solid, Emsisoft is still a more than good vendor worth praising. For example, you won't have privacy intrusion like Avast or Kaspersky...

When I was hired I didn't even had EAM installed on my systems since a while, my defenses were Appguard and ERP.

Then with my better understanding of the AV industry and improved technical knowledge of security acquired from my position, plus real insider insight and discussion with people actually working and developing security products (unlike most whose "knowledge" are all about parroting blogs article...).
I found out then relying on an AV as main layer was not necessary anymore in my strategy.

And of course when you quit a company, you always lose some love.

But I still recommend Emsisoft, they may not be the best in detection, they may be expensive for some, but they will protect you more than efficiently without intruding your privacy and you will have a great support team who actually take time to solve your issues.
I was close to the support team due to my position so I can guarantee they aren't half skilled people following a scripted procedure in a Indian support center... Not saying they even helped non-Emsi users/customers.

I just had a good experience with their support on emsisoft forum. They took 1 day for each answer, and solved all my doubts.
And about privacy, Emsisoft extension is the only one that clearly don't log everything you do on the internet.
The only problem for me is that they lack tests around the web... So for now, i'll go only with EEK and Browser extension. Maybe i'll change my opinion in the future

Reactions: DDE_Server

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.