FBI Announcement: Paying The Ransom is a Bad Idea

M

Mihir :-)

Thread author
Hey Folks!

So late last year a quote was going around about a comment for the Special Agent in charge of the Cyber Intelligence program for a Boston branch of the FBI that mentioned how they advise users to just pay ransomware criminals because in many cases, getting the files back by any other method would have been impossible.

Now the FBI itself never officially made that claim and instead didn’t really give an opinion on whether or not to pay after a ransomware infection. Naked Security did a good job covering this story and despite not having an opinion, the FBI did provide many possible protection measures to avoid ransomware infection in the first place.

Well last Friday, the FBI made a decision and not only did they officially inform the world that they agree, ransomware is getting worse, but also decided to tell folks to not pay the ransom, even if you do get infected.

Read More:FBI Announcement: Paying The Ransom is a Bad Idea

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I honestly knew that it was never a good idea to pay the ransom without any security site or FBI telling me. :p

Reactions: Der.Reisende
G

Guest28

Thread author
When police departments in my area got attacked by ransom they told them to pay it. but when do our governments ever tell the truth?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ransomware and its actual ransom scenario should prevent any money covered where instead follow the proper procedure.

Sometimes when you give a money to those 'suspects', a huge problems may burst around.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.