Privacy News FBI Arrests Hacker Who Hacked No One

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
He built a piece of software. That tool was pirated and abused by hackers. Now the feds want him to pay for the computer crooks’ crimes.

Taylor Huddleston woke early on December 6th, hours before the Arkansas winter morning would stir to life with the sound of roosters and dogs. Since selling off the last piece of his software business two months earlier, Huddleston had nothing in particular to do, and he’d been keeping odd hours. While his girlfriend slept in the next room, he browsed Reddit and YouTube, then sat down with a microwaved Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowl to start the day right.

Something crunched in his mouth, and he spat out a wad of breakfast bowl into a napkin, just as the pounding started at his front door.

Full Article. FBI Arrests Hacker Who Hacked No One

Last edited by a moderator:

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Notepad developers should also be arrested. Ransomware are using notepad with criminal intentions, trying to extort money by displaying ransom notes with notepad.
Microsoft should also be sued, the criminals are using their vulnerabilities to steal your online identity. Microsoft should not hire developers capable of writing such a poor quality code.They must be doing it intentionally.
Oh, i forgot about Adobe with their flash and Oracle with their Java...

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Microsoft should be sued too. Because of Microsoft Windows, people are being ransomed by cyber criminals.

Cellphone companies and TelCo's too should be sued. Because of them, the crooks are able to communicate with each other.

@Amelith Nargothrond said the same thing. :)

Let's not forget about flour makers... because of them, criminals are eating pizza and get to live another day to do more criminal stuff :p

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
To be fair, though, the complainants want this dude to be sued not because "your software is used by criminals, so you should be arrested", but because they believe that the guy made the tool for the sole purpose of helping criminals. As to whether he really made it for that purpose depends now on the court. :)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
To be fair, though, the complainants want this dude to be sued not because "your software is used by criminals, so you should be arrested", but because they believe that the guy made the tool for the sole purpose of helping criminals. As to whether he really made it for that purpose depends now on the court. :)

Indeed. I wonder what evidence they had for this. I am quite interested in this case, i will follow it (hopefully i don't forget) :p

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
little-larry-sellers.jpg

D

Deleted member 178

Two-sides "law", he is nobody, has no power so he is crucified in the name of a so-called "justice" , justice ignoring the powerful and rich...

Why not the "Law" punishes tobacco & firearms companies? those killed more people than anybody else in the world...ah yes, they are covered by the "law"...

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
From what I read of the article, he looks to be pretty naive and he cracked down on any illegal use of his software. If he has a good defense, should get off.

These alphabet soup agencies of course conduct illegal surveillance on the public...The CIA for instance has such a murderous past, including conducting experiments on the US public. We are losing our democracies and freedoms.

The US "justice" system is terrible among Western nations. Executing innocent people, to locking millions of people away, significant enough % for non-violent crimes. The US prison industry, largest incarceration rate in world, you even have corrupt judges sending innocent people to private prisons.

Reactions: XhenEd

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
A tricky case. Everything falls on intent. If he just wanted to create legitimate remote management software with no ill intent then obviously he shouldn't be charged, but, as the article states this is a often-used assertion by RAT developers.
If he is innocent then I worry that there's no way he is going to be able to defend himself against this charge. He can't prove he didn't have any ill intent when developing this software but the FBI can certainly prove it's been used by criminals and that I feel will be his downfall. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the ruling is.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.