Features to boost your PC's security and privacy (by BleepingComputer)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
An interesting guide from Bleeping Computer:
Security features you should know about:
Potentially Unwanted App (PUA)
Memory Integrity
Controlled Folder Access
Network scanning

Windows 10 settings to increase your privacy
Turn off ads and tracking
Disable Start Menu suggestions and promotions
Restrict Diagnostic data
Manage permissions for location, microphone, camera
Disable the Windows Timeline (Activity history)
App permissions
Read the full guide here:

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

In my setup i turn off advertising ID, Start Menu suggestions, timeline and configure app permissions but set diagnostic data to full.
On security side the only one i don't use (anymore) is controlled folder access due to high breakage which isn't important on secure system anyway.

But good to see they don't spread any strange tweaks or third-party tools (y)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Good to see this list again--sometimes these settings and others are mysteriously turned off, particularly after a big update. I just found one that was off (prob. I forgot to re-enable it)--CFA. Every little bit helps.

Diagnostic Data is set to "optional" always due to Insider build requirements. Some of my very old games did not work at all, graphics-wise. After a couple of weeks, they work again due to the telemetry (send problem reports to Microsoft). Prob. missing some libraries somewhere.

rndmblk

Level 3
Nov 18, 2020
I'm not familiar with the network scanning option for Defender. I did some searching and the consensus seems to be that in general it's not recommended to enable this feature?

Reactions: Venustus and Cortex

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
A few articles quoted MS documentation (although they didn't link to it).
Bleeping Computer for example - Windows Defender Fix For Windows 10: Enable Network Scanning - "Microsoft states in their documentation that scanning network files is not recommended"
Scanning network files and Network Protection are two completely different things.
Network Protection blocks access to malicious domains system-wide. Scanning network files, well, scans files on the network.
It's perfectly safe to enable Network Protection.

rndmblk

Level 3
Nov 18, 2020
Scanning network files and Network Protection are two completely different things.
Network Protection blocks access to malicious domains system-wide. Scanning network files, well, scans files on the network.
It's perfectly safe to enable Network Protection.
Yes but the article in the original post is talking about Network scanning as is the post I quoted. No mention of network protection that I can see

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Compared to the past, Windows protection is much better. What I feel I need is a straightforward shortcut to these settings. Every time I set up Defender, I feel like I'm hunting for socks in a messy closet.🧦
It would be great if Microsoft gave easier access to those settings, but for now the answer is ConfigueDefender :D

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Memory integrity is another security layer, so why does microsoft have it switched off by default?
Because of possible incompatibele third party drivers it can't be enabled by default.
The default is for maximum compatibility.
The question is if it's needed in a home environment?
See the discussion here:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.