Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys,

Today, we're announcing that we have disabled the users signature. The main reason why we've taken this step is to improve our members experience when reading a thread. While Signatures have been around for a long time, they do clutter a thread and make it harder to focus on the discussion.

I know that some of you got used to them, however the added value for by these signatures is less than the benefits they provide.

Before deciding if you like this change or not, please do browse the threads for a few hours/days and notice the much more clean look of a thread.

This change should not only bring a better user experience, but also should come with a speed boost as the signatures had images that were hosted on other websites (imgur.com and other third party websites), so you had to wait for them to load also.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Y

yigido

Microsoft first removes the start button at Windows 8, then users complains about it because they never expect such behavior from Microsoft.
Then Microsoft started to listen and ask users.. Windows 10 came with start button.

Mods removes signatures then release it. Now user complains and asking for options.. you know the rest of the history..

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft first removes the start button at Windows 8, then users complains about it because they never expect such behavior from Microsoft.
Then Microsoft started to listen and ask users.. Windows 10 came with start button.

Mods removes signatures then release it. Now user complains and asking for options.. you know the rest of the history..
In the title of the thread there is the word "Feedback".. so I'm reading your replies and if valid points are made we can change our decision.
The truth about the Signatures is that this is a feature left from the early stages of forums software, in the recent years they have been replaced by the Member Profile pages.
There is no need to have random images, links to security configs or other off-topic text under each reply.

@SHvFl that's a valid point.

Last edited:
Y

yigido

In the title of the thread there is the word "Feedback".. so I'm reading your replies and if valid points are made we can change our decision.
The truth about the Signatures is that this is a feature left from the early stages of forums software, in the recent years they have been replaced by the Member Profile pages.
There is no need to have random images, links to security configs or other off-topic text under each reply.

@SHvFl that's a valid point.
Ok your forum place your choice, I do not care about signatures. I hate animes that jumping between posts!
But I love to reach people's config and Hi messages from thei signatures..Sometimes spreading good words from signatures better.
Just my 2 cents, if you are still collecting telemtry from this thread.

Thanks @Jack and other mods, who provide us this amazing place.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
A very good point indeed but most signatures were small and unobtrusive in the first place anyway. Take for example my one was a small gif file that isn't linked to any third party site. It's in my opinion something that allows users to express personality as well as the other technical stuff like those security software sigs that @Huracan did.

This is a warm, welcoming and friendly forum and I think some sigs added a bit of individuality.:D

But obviously the final decision will be made by our administrators.:cool:
We'll get used to the new look but that touch of individuality will be missed by many I am sure:)

Oh, and the staff do a brilliant job here:D:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree with this decision made by @Jack
For one it will reduce the clutter in threads and make it easier to read which is the reason we are all here.
It will also reduce the number of pages within in a thread by one or two.This can already be seen!
Everything you need to know about a member can be found here including their Security Configuration link
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.09.19_10h35m14s_002_.png
Using the upload option will also help as well as posting large images as thumbnails.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
A very good point indeed but most signatures were small and unobtrusive in the first place anyway. Take for example my one was a small gif file that isn't linked to any third party site. It's in my opinion something that allows users to express personality as well as the other technical stuff like those security software sigs that @Huracan did.

This is a warm, welcoming and friendly forum and I think some sigs added a bit of individuality.:D

But obviously the final decision will be made by our administrators.:cool:
We'll get used to the new look but that touch of individuality will be missed by many I am sure:)

Oh, and the staff do a brilliant job here:D:D
Couldn't agree more :) Did not notice the missing sig on first glance ;) No performance issues for me so far :) Also, optional showing of signatures (mentioned somewhere above) is a good input IMO.

Staff's job continues to be awesome of course :)

L

Lucent Warrior

The forum looks cleaner, sleeker, and more professional with these turned off. As @exterminator20 pointed out, everything you need to know of a user can be found on their profile. As for individuality, this can be seen in the users responses to threads and posts.

I am good either way, but think that the threads look better without the signatures.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I personally like this way. No issues for me & all the individuality one needs is on the left-side with your profile pic. But most users prefer signature and by reading all the posts above, i also think a lite signature version will be no problem.

I mean a signature with restrictions, like 1 image with not more than 600x120px dimensions, or something more stricter, like only texts/links not more than 4 lines with no images.
Well, this is my suggestion. Hope you guys consider all the suggestions & feedback and decide.

On the side note, great work admins.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Like Jack said the signatures have been around in every software platform for a long time.Basically they are just "Fluff",if you will,and not necessary.
I am not against them but I am not going to loose any sleep over not having them.
One thing,as @Lucent Warrior pointed out,is the more professional look of the site.
That goes a long way in getting DEV's as members,companies to offer software to our members for free and how we are regarded by our peers.
Text/link signatures would be fine without images and excessive formatting.A set font size and number of lines would also need to be implemented.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
There is no need to have random images, links to security configs or other off-topic text under each reply. that's a valid point.

Dear Mr. Jack,

Please note that the only little thing that made MT beautiful in the recent years was variety of user signatures via custom images which most of them were wonderful in quality and design. Whenever I looked at an article then I discovered a ton of Security softwares, configuration, ideas on how to improve my Security knowledge. I got all of these just by seeing Security config via user signatures right on the same page of the article without browsing into another page. These user signatures saved my life because I have collected huge of Security configs from different users on MT (ex. @Umbra, from here I want to thank him ;)) which later helped me to install the best Security softwares on my PC and it is now working like a monster against all types of online threat. I am crying :( I can no longer see something where in the past was the best Security Advisor for me and most of members.

I would be grateful if you could listen to our feedback but anyway we do respect any decision will be made by our administrators.
I love you MT :cool:

Sincerely,
Rebsat from Iraq :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.