Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
1JuxkAk.jpg

Image from Neowin

It was with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update that Microsoft decided to add a dark theme to Windows 10, as it had been doing on Windows Phone for years. Last fall, Xbox users got a light theme option, as the ability to choose between color schemes has become more popular.

Now, the dark theme option is being extended to the File Explorer, as first discovered by Thurrott's Rafael Rivera. The feature is hidden in Windows 10 build 17650 - which is only available to Insiders on the Skip Ahead option of the Fast ring - and as you can see from the image above, it seems to be early on in development. Once it's available to everyone, it can be toggled on and off using the system-wide theme setting.

Historically, the system-wide theme setting has controlled various elements of the general Windows 10 UI, as well as various UWP apps. This might be the first time that the setting has touched a Win32 app like File Explorer. It's good news though, as dark themes have been a fan favorite.

Of course, the feature is unannounced, so it's possible that it could be scrapped at some point, or that it could be delayed until a later update. If all goes well though, File Explorer will get its dark theme when Redstone 5 is available this fall.

Via File Explorer is finally getting a dark theme in Windows 10 Redstone 5

Glynn

Level 2
Verified
Aug 16, 2017
I'll take 3 :D

since i got them about a year ago, my headaches are a thing of the past, they genuinely do work for me, i can look at dark themes, light themes, rainbow colored themes all day long, it is like have windows 10 night light or f.lux on my head. :D

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
since i got them about a year ago, my headaches are a thing of the past, they genuinely do work for me, i can look at dark themes, light themes, rainbow colored themes all day long, it is like have windows 10 night light or f.lux on my head. :D
you can get the same coating on a regular glasses, it's UV filtering coating

Glynn

Level 2
Verified
Aug 16, 2017
not here, i asked the optometrist about the anti glare uv coating for my glasses but it can only be done when you get new prescription glasses, it can not be added afterwards :(

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
not here, i asked the optometrist about the anti glare uv coating for my glasses but it can only be done when you get new prescription glasses, it can not be added afterwards :(
well yea they're ordering the lenses with it on it, they can't just add it on top of it.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
nice, i'll get addons then when i get new glasses which would be never :p
yea but you can get glasses without it being prescription glasses, if you know what i mean
would probably be better quality and cheaper even

D

Deleted member 65228

Regular glasses won't work for people who don't have eye-sight difficulties (?) and they need to be given specifically depending on the eye-sight problems (after trial and error of checking different ones).

As for sun-glasses, apparently wearing them inside for using a PC is bad for your ages but I don't know if this is really true.

So you probably want to go with actual gaming glasses.

Reactions: Glynn
D

Deleted member 65228

I'd like a dark theme for Explorer as well but the one coming in Redstone 5 won't work for me... Black and white theme? Hmmm... Was hoping for an "actual" dark theme. :(

Reactions: brambedkar59

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
omg lol ppl still talking abouth red stone 5 .. when we waiting for red stone 4 .. they ( microsoft ) really need hold up a bit more time then just release red stone 5 it look alot more interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.