FileHippo Update Checker <--- Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

14troy14

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2011
FileHippo Update Checker <--- Good or Bad?

I just wanted to know if FileHippo Update Checker is good or bad and if it worth it.

Thx :D

--> I'm using Secunia PSI at the same time than FileHippo Update Checker.
Whick one I should keep? :p

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
FileHippo Update Checker is a good alternative to Secunia PSI, The letdown is, FileHippo only checks for outdated software and not system vulnerabilities, But Both of them are good choices.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have never tried it or Secunia PSI. Are they any good? Or are they worth it?

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
I sorta lean towards Secunia for a similar type of tool but FH Tool is both "good" and "worth it".

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good and worth it to use, as it will detect if a product has a new version through their website only.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I've never used the FileHippo updater, but I've used Secunia for years and it works very well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
FileHippo Update Checker is good software.

You can have to run on start-up and if no updates are found, the program will close. Since it installs no Services (ie. background processes) it is light on resources. If updates are found it will open your default (or chosen web browser from the settings) to display the results, so you can download and install them from FileHippo.com.
You can add other areas of your hard drive to be scanned if they are not located in the Program Files (ie. Portable Programs). It also can notify you of available Beta software if you want.

Since it does not run in the background like Secunia PSI, it won't auto-update software such as Flash Player.
There are a few settings in Secunia PSI for monitoring programs and whether you want it to run all the time.

I use FileHippo Update Checker over Secunia PSI, since that's my personal preference.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I also choose FileHippo since its unobtrusive and it works just as good as PSI.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Secunia also looks at Windows Updates so it offers a better option and does not require that it run at startup or all the time, I simply start it and check periodically so that these details are clear.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Depends on your personal opinion, If you want to check for updates,software patches and vulnerabilities, Use PSI, If you just want to check software patches, Stick to FileHippo. :)

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I haven't used filehippo's offering, but does it show a system security rating?

Secunia PSI is specifically made for security, whereas it seems filehippo Update checker is more to keep you informed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Tomo172 said:
I haven't used filehippo's offering, but does it show a system security rating?

I think Filehippo was not showed a system security rating, it will show an update that a product have new version than the exist one.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
With or without a security rating you should always update to newer versions if they are available. FileHippo Update checker only checks for apps they have on their website. If all (or at least most) of your apps are on FileHippo.com you can use just their update checker.

Try to do an inventory of all the apps you have installed and see if any of the two products can alert you when there is a new version available for most of them.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The problem with FileHippo is that it always runs behind on software updates and only has a limited list of software on their site.

Since I'm subscribed to FileHippo RSS Feeds, I have noticed that some software updates can run weeks behind other download sites like Softpedia and MajorGeeks. Cnet download.com also runs behind others.

Of coarse FileHippo is always the first to update Piriform software like CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy.

So it can be good if you don't mind running behind on updates and only have software installed listed on FileHippo. Other than that, you might want to try a better option like subscribing to Softpedia and MajorGeeks RSS Feeds.

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.