New Update Files v3 app - A modern file manager for Windows 11; Tabs, Dual panes, File previews, Column views, Tags, Themes and more

Which file explorer do you prefer to have?

• Total voters

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
So this is what I always wanted with Windows 11 file explorer - tabs, dual panes, rich file previews, column views, files & folder tags, custom themes and it's all there in Files v2. Files v1 was great and with the new update, it's redsigned for Windows 11

Get it here: Files
Also available on Microsoft store
Github page

eQWDJro.png

Releases · files-community/Files

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I like the fact that when you are copying files it doesn't open a ton of explorer windows, instead condenses it into Explorer notification pane on top right just like how it works in Linux.

JFBQ2ke.png

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Interesting app. I'm trying Total commander trial right now and the tabs are very convenient. Great app although the UI is ancient. Might try this one instead since trial will end soon. The UI on this looks great.
Update: The app is too slow like mentioned by @shukla44.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Interesting app. I'm trying Total commander trial right now and the tabs are very convenient. Great app although the UI is ancient. Might try this one instead since trial will end soon. The UI on this looks great.
Update: The app is too slow like mentioned by @shukla44.
True that, it's a little slow to startup (~4 sec), but once started, i'd have it running and don't open any new windows, since I just keep using the tabs. Tabs open instantaneously though.

Hopefully the startup slowness issue is fixed in future.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Used donation version of Free Commander for some time & very pleased with it, small donation gives you a 64 bit version - I don't use any of the MS default docs, pictures etc, they all on separate partition(s) away from Windows.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
The Files app, a popular third-party file explorer for Windows 10 and 11, received a major update under version 3.0. It is now available for download from the official website and the Microsoft Store, bringing customers a redesigned interface, modern copy-paste progress dialogs, Office documents preview, built-in commands, faster performance, new icons, and more.

What is new in the Files app v3?​

For more information and images

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.