Firefox 41 integrates Free Built-in Instant Messaging and Video Chat to Your Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
Mozilla has launched the stable release of Firefox 41.0, equipped with project "Firefox Hello" offering free VOIP and instant messaging services through WebRTC (Real Time Communication) channel.

Firefox Hello had already arrived last year via Firefox 41.0 Beta release with an aim of improving user’s experience by providing them with free voice and video calling features, irrespective of additional software or hardware support.

By adopting Firefox Hello:

1. Both the parties don't need to have same browsers, software or hardware.
  2. No sign-up other than a logged-in Firefox account required for the communication.
  3. Sending and receiving Instant messaging simultaneously working with video calling in Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux.
  4. Enabling Screen sharing, by the persons in communication.
  5. Enabling Contacts integration if both the parties use different browsers.

Updates to Firefox Accounts and Firefox Hello Beta

Reactions: Ink and OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
More bloatware that few people will want/use. Just like Pocket... Why you doing all this Mozilla?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
More bloatware that few people will want/use. Just like Pocket... Why you doing all this Mozilla?
What do you use for Messaging and Video-calling, from the desktop?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
In my opinion it is not something that has to be present in a browser. There are lots of applications who are doing this job for even longer, skype or viber for example. Most of the people who have to use something like this have already a skype account or whatever, so I think it is not neccesary to add this to the browser. I have to agree that it is bloatware. This is something that an addon developer should make, not the firefox devs. They just have to focus on other things that are not yet present in firefox and that are really browser related (more html5 capabilities for example). I think they just don't understand that they are losing users with this, and that lots of people are changing their browser to one that is also firefox based (palemoon for example).

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
What do you use for Messaging and Video-calling, from the desktop?

Nothing. No need for one anymore. Makes the one in Firefox all the more useless. I could just use Skype if I wanted chat, video message, etc and I actually can uninstall/install freely if I wanted to. Something you can't do in this case. It's already bad enough that Firefox lags even without addons installed. Adding more to the mix will only hurt it, not help it.

Reactions: Sven

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Nothing. No need for one anymore. Makes the one in Firefox all the more useless. I could just use Skype if I wanted chat, video message, etc and I actually can uninstall/install freely if I wanted to. Something you can't do in this case. It's already bad enough that Firefox lags even without addons installed. Adding more to the mix will only hurt it, not help it.

I fully agree with you

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
These "features" should in fact be extensions which can optionally be installed could be construed as a viable comment.However like mozilla has stated a majority of firefox users may not be aware of these features so mozilla give you them within the browser.
Im not sure but i believe you can disable them within the about:config settings.

Bloat in a browser is something users themselves bring to the browser.
For example..?
Look at the amount of extensions some firefox users use...:(
It has been known for some people to have 10-20 extensions installed and yet they oddly complain of bloat..!.:confused:

Although in all honesty a simple yes/no to the install of these features would have been more respectful but thats how the cookie crumbles sometimes.:)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
These "features" should in fact be extensions which can optionally be installed could be construed as a viable comment.However like mozilla has stated a majority of firefox users may not be aware of these features so mozilla give you them within the browser.
Im not sure but i believe you can disable them within the about:config settings.

Bloat in a browser is something users themselves bring to the browser.
For example..?
Look at the amount of extensions some firefox users use...:(
It has been known for some people to have 10-20 extensions installed and yet they oddly complain of bloat..!.:confused:

Although in all honesty a simple yes/no to the install of these features would have been more respectful but thats how the cookie crumbles sometimes.:)

It's not bloat if you can uninstall it (extensions/addons)... Bloat is forced, it isn't a choice. Even if you can disable it. And I use Chrome myself.

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Maybe it is related to the multi-platform project for audio/video calling that Microsoft participate with. So if it is , thhis feature makes lot of sense.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
No this so called bloat can be disabled.Im a chrome user myself and to use your terminology "bloat" also affects chrome.
There seems to be confusion as to what constitutes bloat and a genuine feature.

What you consider as bloat may in some cases be perceived as a welcome extra to others.;)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
use ublock origin to disable webrtc.
But these can be disabled in about:config so further discussion in regard to webrtc is absurd as a solution has already been posted.:D

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
use ublock origin to disable webrtc.
But these can be disabled in about:config so further discussion in regard to webrtc is absurd as a solution has already been posted.:D
It is so true, absurd.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
If one person like a feature it isnt bloat :p

That logic has a huge hole in it (no offense). If a crime is a justice to one, it's not a crime. I do understand where your coming from though. I'm all for opinions which is why I'm not pushing my point any further. It's very unenjoyable for both parties. And I didn't join MT for debates. Opinions aren't even debatable.

On my system, gecko engine is slow and crashes. No matter what it is. Firefox, Cyberfox, etc. It normally clears up after another 2 or 3 releases. Firefox needs a new engine or a remake of it. Do that and you can add whatever you want to it. Some exclusions apply obviously depending on the user.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
If one person like a feature it isnt bloat :p
Your definition of bloat would be...?
Why not make it easier for folks and strip every new function out of firefox entirely with no added features now or in the future.:eek:

From what i can gather mozilla are planning to introduce sandboxed tabs into the browser.
Does this seem like bloat like you...?:D

Firefox is apparently the only browser with no sandbox function,although i cannot apprehend this obsession with sandboxing everything.Why stop at sandboxing,lets all go virtual and be done with it.:p

For all the non-bloat advocates here,do you want firefox to improve or not..?;)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
For some people it is bloat, for others it is not but come on, Mozilla should spend their time to improve the performance and real web things, such as html5, codecs, support for all types of things you see on the internet, make their engine better etc. Not on 'extra' things that for some people are useless, for others not. That's for later.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
For some people it is bloat, for others it is not but come on, Mozilla should spend their time to improve the performance and real web things, such as html5, codecs, support for all types of things you see on the internet, make their engine better etc. Not on 'extra' things that for some people are useless, for others not. That's for later.
I agree with you entirely.
Firefox is quite an old browser now and i think that mozilla needs to seriously start thinking about building a browser from scratch.
Problem is they intend to implement sandboxing technology into a browser which was not originally designed for this.
Chrome had it easy because it was built from scratch with sandboxing incorporated.
For firefox as it now will be far more difficult.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Bloat = everything i dont need (unfortunately what i dont need is needed by others ^^)

My dream : a built-in out of the box virtualized Windows ! You log-in in a VM and decide if you want keep the files you modified/created. The rest is deleted at reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.